Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thursday- Feeling Like Saturday

Taking a mental health day today and enjoying as much outside time as possible. When I walked into school on Tuesday, I felt oppression which isn't normal, as I usually can wait until spring for such feelings to surface. I think those feelings stem from the fact my co-worker and I rarely leave our room during the day, lunch with each other (a measly 20 minutes) and host a continuous stream of pesky, work -avoiding kids that don't seem to make reasonable attempts to change. They don't care that they are missing recess- amazing!

Im still digging strawberries out if my garden for transplant to my friend, Andrea's where our fruit garden is. I never got them transplanted this spring to our raised beds out there because...there were no raised beds constructed! We managed to get one constructed and I mixed the soil for it and transplanted some strawberries but I have probably three hundred new plants that grew in my garden last year and set runners. I still have at least a hundred new starts to dig even now. Soooo, thats on my agenda.
I also decided to deconstruct my two flubby raised beds in my front yard that have been taken over by either tansy or northern sea oats. I would like to neaten up my yard with some shapely beds, incorporating some perennials and shrubs from other places in my yard and replanting those holes with a single variety of shrub. I have planted willy nilly. I doubt that will start today but it's on my mind.

2 Comments:

Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

I can't imagine taking on a garden your size. I'm so impressed! How finicky are strawberries? Maybe I'll give them a try next summer.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Really my garden isn't as big as some producers- a smallish 25-ish by 10 foot bed.
Strawberries are not finicky if they are in a raised bed, I think. They don't have many problems except if they receive too much moisture, which is hard to do if they are in a raised bed with good soil. You will have problems if you don't buy certified disease free plants. A few simple rules and you have strawberries about June 15th (I think in your area)

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home