Friday, September 11, 2009


Last night I picked my Indian corn and stalks for shocks, pumpkins and gourds, butternut squash and okra. Im still getting a nice load of tomatoes and almost a half bushel of okra. The shot of the watermelons were from a couple weeks back but I too proud of them not to post the pic. They are old fashion varieties and I grew them to ripeness ON THE VINE. I have to say my sample of them made the sweat and chigger bites worth it. My stuff will be at the Apple Festival tonight at the orchard booth. Stop by and marvel. Then look me up and we'll have a beer...


7 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

Wouldn't you be surprised if we all showed up.

3:44 PM  
Anonymous S said...

Damn! I wish I could come! Your watermelon look great!
I have never had good luck with pumpkins, yours look just right.

7:08 PM  
Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

Wow! I want to be like Greeny when I grow up. What a big garden you have!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would but wouldn't it be swell?!

S, you would love it here. And last night we had a killer band playing our street dance.
My pumpkins actually were a bit light when I picked them up. Im not sure how they fill out to that size and not have much weight to them. They aren't very hard either. Thank goodness Rooster, my boss, said it didn't matter, they were just for display! Made me feel better.
I think they need very high nutrition in the soil and mulching plus when they get powdery mildew, it needs to be sprayed for.

Am, it was pretty big once the veges started producing. Whew!

6:41 AM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

You're so lucky! When I was a kid my mom and I use to drag the hose to the garden along with a knife and sit and eat for hours. I miss that! I love fresh veggies and fruit!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Garden fresh veggies can not be beat. I have vivid memories of gardening times with my family growing up too, kimmy. It's the very reason I do this. But now the season never lasts as long as I want. I still have not gotten my fill of fresh salsa.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

I just had pickled okra for the first time this weekend--my friend brought some back from Texas...I thought it was actually really good! :)

And man oh man, those watermelons are HUGE!! :)

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home