Saturday, June 13, 2009

Im at my mom's this weekend for my dad's side family reunion. Its changed completely since the olden days when there was so much good homemade food, lively conversation, tiny babies and tons of cousins all wrapped up in a day at the city park I grew up playing in which was a lovely setting, btw. I looked at some photos from the seventies today and man, was there a lot of polyester!

Now it's KFC and Walmart cupcakes at a stuffy first cousin's house. I am rather picky about things, huh?

And all the original aunts and uncles of the Provance clan that started the reunion have passed except one aunt. 200 people easily were at the reunions and I couldn't remember half their names but there was always someone to play with or talk to and they knew me.

Now it's a whole new set of people I don't know and not many at that.

We are taking homemade meatballs, buttermilk fried chicken strips and fruit cocktail cake along with veg salad. I won't stray far from the table.

Next Wednesday E and I fly down to Orlando for the National Beta convention. E is competing in spelling. I can't wait to make it to the beaches near NASA. I rented a car and we will see how well I navigate. We stay at the Caribe Royale resort which looks scrumptious. The school is picking up the tab (except the alcohol, I suspect). Whoohoooooo!

Ill check in on my blogfolk asap. Until then, toodles.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

Have a wonderful time in Orlando.
It's hard to see the changes time brings to families. A normal part of living in this old world.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

I just scanned in a couple of boxes of slides from the 50s-70's...all of it pretty scary.

Enjoy your trip.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

can't wait until you get a new 'puter. this drive-by blogging is depressing.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Susan Lucente said...

Sounds like you're describing our annual family reunion on my mother's side. Back in the day, there were a couple hundred people attending, but these days, they're lucky to get fifty. Seems like the younger generations just don't value family history like the older ones did. I think I am odd that way, I love geneology and so does my husband, it's important to us to know our past and where we came from and pass it on to our children.

I hope your reunion and the trip to Orlando went well. Sorry I haven't been around much for so long, I'm trying to get back into the swing of things and I'll check back in here more often. :-)

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home