Saturday, May 16, 2009

My brother's son graduated high school this week and this afternoon we had an open house and this evening a bonfire complete with s'mores and hot dogs at my mother's house. It doesn't take much to make any of us happy. Ben was very pleased.

Only three and a half days of school left. It really seems like we were just at this point but it HAS been a year. I am so ready. Many women at school are becoming increasingly hard to stand. I detest two-faced, lying, lazy bitches. Oh, my- that as harsh.

One thing my coworker and I have been doing is taking each class for an hour and working on planting in and mulching the beds in the outdoor classroom with the native plants and trees. It is amazing how well-behaved even the most annoying child is when they are allowed to work on a project like this. Many try to outdo each other with lifting, toting, shoveling and instruction but I noticed them also having good conversation amongst them selves, talking in friendly tones and helping each other. Brenda and I sat back at one point and just listened and watched while they worked. It was inspiring.

Toodles until Monday.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

I love the whole outdoor classroom thing. Something about working in the dirt seems to soothe the wild beast inside of kids.

11:43 PM  
Blogger John said...

Is it Monday yet?

10:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You've got it, Mom.

It is, John. And I just finished with my 3rd grade class and the last of the day. It was a bit bumpy starting but they fell in well after they got the hang.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous S said...

I watched a documentary about a couple who had a huge garden and they had neighborhood kids help them with it. Those kids are adults now and they came back and told what wonderful memories those were and what they learned from the garden and the people who owned it.
It was a very touching show.
You are definitely giving your school kids lots of tools and memories. :)

2:03 PM  
Blogger Weeping Sore said...

This is the hopeful season of school gardens. I encountered several guided tours of elementary school children who passed while was in the public Veggie Garden where I go to play each week.
I don't know about where you are, but here people are determined that their kids won't be the "Last Child in the Woods".

5:16 PM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

Work is good for everyone.
Now I need to convince my kids of that.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home