Sunday, April 05, 2009

'Gran Torino' - loved the movie. 'Taken'- what predictable story line and incredible crappy ending.

I helped with our first swim youth invitational at the Y yesterday. Lots of elementary and middle school kids I know competed. Their first year of competitive swimming and their first meet and they took second. Well done, Sharks!
I saw some one's double there yesterday. I did a double-take.

E took the ACT for the second time. We cut it close getting to the school conducting the test since we got behind a real slow-mo. Sliding in on two wheels, she got in and given directions -not accompanied- was shuffled to three different rooms in three different buildings finally to settle back into the first building where the instructions were already in progress. Nerve-racking but she managed to explain to her instructor the reason for her interruption and to apologize for being later than planned. It turned out ok in the end.

I washed the egg off my house from earlier in the week. I decided to just wash the whole front of the house while I was at it. The siding looks much better as well as the front porch. One down, three to go. Quite satisfying. I really am a menial job type of person and not corporate material, not that anyone was convinced otherwise..

I looked forward to strawberries and shortcake last night. The first flush of berries are here from California. If there was a dessert table offering the richest chocolates and a bowl of strawberries with shortcake, I would ALWAYS choose the strawberries and shortcake. I don't even need whipped cream.

Egads! I just remembered I need to do my state taxes! I have the form somewhere around here...

The girl's play was fun. "Altar Egos" was the play's name about the way families, brides and grooms and peripherals go nuts when it comes to planning a wedding. E played the Grandmother of the bride who comes in during the last ten minutes and sets everything right.
J cracked me up and made me equally uncomfortable by sitting next to his GF and holding hands- right in front of me and her parents! He did at least shake the mom and dad's hands when he met them without any prompting which made me feel good. So I had a talk about mine and his dad's expectations again- a representative of our family and all that jazz. It seemed to make him stop and think. Sigh- that boy tickles me and makes me nervous.

Where is Gnomeself Be True?

6 Comments:

Anonymous S said...

Oh I love strawberries and can't wait to get some fresh ones somewhere this spring.
I also wondered where the gnome went. Hope he is ok!
Funny when our young ones start with the romantic stuff. :)

9:22 PM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

Where am I supposed to be?

Sounds like a great weekend. Nothing wrong with menial labor. It makes the world go 'round and is seldom appreciated by those that benefit from it.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I wish Gnome wouldn't hide so much. I miss his comments.

congrats on the siding, i know how accomplishing something like that feels. it's been a while, but still.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Weeping Sore said...

Your post makes me tired just to read. You sure have plenty going on, what with the strawberries and the tax filings. Don't 'dis' yourself re manual labor. As an ex-bureaucrat, I have to say 'professional' careers aren't all that great. Turns out that manual labor can become the most ennobling labor there is.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gnome, I just haven't seen you anywhere online. Obviously I wasn't the only one..

I mentioned before the teeshirt my brother had in HS-
"I may not be smart but I can lift heavy things".
I need one of those.

8:37 PM  
Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

I still haven't seen Grand Torino. It's on my list.

I enjoy the menial tasks too. The rat race can be so soul-sucking. One day though, I'm going to have to get a real job.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home