Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Things are heating up with respect to spring testing. Teachers, students and parents are all about to spontaneously combust. If there was one thing I would do to make a difference in the situation, it would be to convey to parents that school no longer resembles what we as students remember. It is excellerated by several years ( 5th graders now are doing what I did in 8th grade), the organization a student has to possess is unbelievable, and the need for parents to help their struggling child at home is massive. I would not believe it if I were not in the school system myself, witnessing it every day nor would I believe teachers are doing everything possible to remedy each student's problems. I watch them, talk to them and see first hand the student's work. There is so much I'm overwhelmed and I don' even have a classroom. It is an ungodly job. I just think many parents- not all- don't realize teachers in general try everything in the book to reach a child with the concepts expected.
We have another month before we begin testing. Spring break is coming soon however. TGFSB!

E is performing tonight in a Winter Drumline extravaganza. Okay, maybe not an extravaganza. She has been staying for 2-hour practices twice a week on top of pep band, horn lessons and a ton of Trig homework. I am loving the extra curricular activities the band teacher has come up with this year to really stretch the learning for those that are interested. It has pressed E for time but I tend to be overly protective of the kid's free time. She will have to get used to less sleep if she plans on going to college.
She and Slim took a break from each other but they keep seeing each other and talking every night. I enjoy the fact I don't have to wonder what they are up to all the time but I sure miss the kid.
J is plugging along with school and trying to rein in his hormones. He is every bit his 13 years in growth and boy- groadiness. I am trying to impress upon him the neccessity of being a bit more reserved and clean in his appearance.
It's science fair time and I can't wait to see what he chooses to go with for a project. Im pushing for a solar oven but he isn't too keen on that idea.

8 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

I'm on the other end of the school thing: teachers emailing me with news of missing homework.

I hate, hate, hate the whole testing thing, teaching to a standardized test. I understand it, but I hate it.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Since my sons attends all year round the testing schedule is different.
H, is in the 5th grade and for the first time in his life last week he brought home a report card with two C's on them. Social Studies and Math. I'm honestly unsure of what to do to get him to focus more--because he's smart as a whip. He told me that he just doesn't care as much and that he gets overwhelmed that everything is timed. He goes to a really good school A.P.I 10, so I feel confident about the education he's getting but I do agree that he's having to put out so much more than I did in the 5th. He has homework that takes him nearly 2.5 hrs some nights.

I'm trying to get him to realize that he habits he starts now will follow him through out his schooling years. Uggh.

I bet it's hard to watch your daughter and realize that she's this young women and you keep looking for E, your little girl. Makes me sad just thinking about it.
You son, well I'm thinking that when girls really pique his interest the personal cleanliness will increase? Ha, H puts on deodorant and cologne every day. He takes 20 minutes doing his hair and he's only 10. I tell him he's worse than a teen girl.

P.S. good to hear from you. I just don't update much--sorry. I see I am not is here. I knew he couldn't stay away.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anne, can you imagine having any of that communication from teachers back when we were in school? My parents were never called even when I got the board my senior year for participating in buying beer on my senior trip to Florida.

Gnome, I fully understand. I guess you do a fab job of keeping the big picture in front of you because you never give up.
So far the hex I cast on the idiots who thought this testing shit up hasn't worked yet..
So far, so good on the quality of my day.
Yay! Jetpass! Good to see you.
Sounds like your boy is pretty normal. There is a lot of stress in school for every kid and I see exactly what you described coming from other very capable kids for the same reasons. You know what you are doing so I wont write the rhetoric.
I can't even begin to visualize E going away to school. I tear up just thinking about her graduation ceremony!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

OK, I've been meaning to ask you for some time--it sounds like you work as a teacher or a teacher's aide--right?

I used to be a teacher several years ago...junior high school...I decided to move to a less stressful career. :)

8:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We have our testing in the next few weeks but the build up and the test cramming is starting now. Arg.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tell ya..I am so glad that my three are nearly grown. Of course, I have a couple more that I am involved with...but am not the parent:)

10:25 PM  
Blogger nataS said...

My best friend has been out of a job for months and began substitute teaching this week...his report?

"It's insane."

1:19 AM  
Blogger John said...

I don't know if it operates the same all over the country, but test scores here in Ohio have a direct correlation to funding. If test scores are low then funding gets cut. Now what sense does that make? It would seem that low test scores would indicate a need for more help in the class room, not less. But then Ohio's way of funding schools has been under scrutiny for years. They fund on the levy system, so the lower income areas get less money for schools, therefore having fewer programs available for the struggling students. The Supreme court actually stated in 1976 that this form of funding was unconstitutional, and yet it continues. I've asked several people and no one can get me an explanation as to why it continues this way.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home