Thursday, November 06, 2008

I am getting over the time change. It doesn't matter if it's lose an hour or gain an hour, it still kicks my butt. Daylight at 6:15, I like but dark at 5:15, not so much. I feel myself turning slowly into Ms. Hibernating Bear.

Tonight I fixed a pot of black eyed peas and rice, nicely spiced and full of my garden fresh sweet and hot peppers and tomatoes I had canned. It all was accompanied by a skillet of homemade cornbread. The peas were what my brother grew for Bush- the cannery, not Dubya.

Anne, I ordered the cheese making kit for my nephew and his wife for Christmas. It came today with a smiley face pumpkin sticker on the outside of the box. I like doing business with those folks!

Today at 3:05 pm I remembered my dream from last night. I dreamed I was seeing into my grandmother's plate glass window to see the kitchen table where her purse was and I saw a light from another room switch on, shining light onto the table which made me feel good in the dream to know she was "home".
In the same dream, my dad was having a conversation with me as he might have back about 10 or 15 years ago. He was standing beside me and his body movements, tone of voice and conversation style were like back then. He seemed so at ease. I wish I could remember what he was talking about....
I don't have dreams like those- so clear and precise, very often. They could be be signs or it could just be memories drifting to the surface. I don't really care.

I am pretty sure America will have a set of new but equally disturbing problems but then again, that's just my cynical point of view and I'm going to try being positive in my approach. I am neither Republican nor Democrat all the time. I don't think either candidate was the ticket for what ails us.

Going to head to my home town this weekend and check out my dad's headstone that was set this week. My mom was sure not ready for that.

10 Comments:

Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

I think that comforting dream was pointing out that home is where the people you love are. They are still beside you.

I am full of hope for America, but, to quote one pundit, Obama has inherited a shit sandwich. I hope he can help us expand the menu.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

Black-eyed peas and rice. Your description made my mouth water. My mom and dad loved black-eyed peas. I thought of them as I read about your dinner. I don't think we ever get past missing our parents.
Glad you can go be with your mom this week-end.
There is a lot of hope in the America's air. I pray Obama can be an effective leader.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You may be right AM. It was strange to have such a vivid dream with the two people I miss and with such a pointed meaning.

Having been so naive in the past on every subject, I find myself purposefully and irritatingly swinging to the cynical side of things. Makes it easy for me to take the notoriously bad outcome of politics.

My son hates beans of every description ( I remember being there at his age) but he didn't really grumble last night. I wonder if he secretly liked them. I hope so because eating them is good luck and I have a few gallon sized bags in the freezer!

Deep down,I want Obama to succeed as well.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I have no idea if this will help or just make you ache more, but I'll share anyway. My grandmother died in 2000. I was the oldest grandchild and I went away to college where she taught so I got to know here a little more than kids and grandparents usually do. You would have loved her, she was a botanist and had a greenhouse and grew all sorts of things and did the canning thing, too. For years after she died I would see something she'd like or have a question for her to answer and would reach for the phone and then realize she wasn't on the other end. Missing your dad won't be over anytime soon, I hope you stay on top of it and not get pulled under with sadness.

Oh, geez, I hope that's not to weird.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Honestly Anne, our relating to each other is helpful, more than any religion or ideas is. The power I need to uplift my emotions is found in sharing with people who have dealt with the same human factors.
No way could that have been weird. I plan to stay on top of it or I wouldn't have shared.
And thank you.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The time change alway messes me up, too. It seems like it is always dark when I am driving home. blah!

7:04 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

i hate getting up when it's dark out. and coming home from work when it's dark out. it makes my body feel weird things...i hate that.

enjoy your trip home as much as you can. it's gonna be hard i'm sure for all of you...but being together will help.

hugs.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

The time change and "time for change"...hmmm...it will take time for us to adjust to the new changes.

I myself can't seem to kick this cold I've had for a while--or maybe it's allergies--I think it'll be good once the temperature stays the same for a while (even if it's--shiver--cold).

5:37 PM  
Blogger Weeping Sore said...

I'm glad your dad and grandmother visit your dreams. I'm glad they are in their prime when you dream of them.

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love dreams like that. The brain is amazing!

I'm not digging the time change so much either. The days are too short. As gloomy as the news has been of late, it would be better with lots of sunshine.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home