Monday, September 01, 2008

Labor Day Indeed

It's dry here. Really dry. No measurable rain for 3 or 4 weeks. The black walnut trees went to shedding leaves weeks ago and now most others are following suite.
My "thousand" tomato plants (just seemed like that many) are about to wind down. (Just think- you won't have to hear me blabbing about tomato plants soon!) My most prolific producer- "Golden Jubilee"- was by far the most delicious. It made some honking good spaghetti sauce and fresh salsa. The only plant that seems as though it will stick around for now is my cherry tomato. I can't remember if it was a "Sweet 100" or something else. It works well seeded and sliced on a pizza or just popped in my mouth although they are sort of large for a single bite.
My peppers and eggplants didn't amount to much. They usually produce like crazy. I ended up with only one jalapeno plant and it hasn't put much out. BTW, I found jalapenos can be frozen whole and popped out of the freezer, can be diced up pretty fast and tidy. I think I might try that with the few remaining peppers I get.
My green beans have been yummy and after I pulled out the "done" tomato plants, I seeded more green beans so I could have a fall crop and perhaps can them. I have never canned them myself before but my mom told me she would show me how. They can be blanched and frozen but somehow they aren't nearly as good that way. Canning them ensures they cook up in all their green beanie goodness.

The other day across town I spied a cherry tree FULL of cherries someone hasn't picked. Should I - dare I- ask if I could pick them?! I can't figure out what variety they are- maybe sweet cherries, although those aren't known to grow in Missouri at all. All the sour cherry trees should have been well done by the end of June.
Speaking of spying fruits unpicked by the land owners- I noticed beside my modular where my office is, the yard that bumps up to it has grapes on the fence bordering me. They weren't picking them a couple of years ago so I asked for them, got the go- ahead and made some jelly I took back to them. I still have grape juice from that picking in my freezer there were so many. It pays to keep your eyes peeled but I can't believe people would waste something as precious as fresh fruit!

It's a day of watering at the school's gardens. I forgot the hose was on the memorial garden all night- do you suppose that administration will wonder why the water bill was so high for August? All they have to do is watch the film from the surveillance camera to see what yayhoo was using the water!
Today is the outdoor classroom garden's water day. I have to pack up my personal hoses and add to the others at school to reach all the way. That is dedication, folks. To be honest, the Missouri native species plants and trees in the garden are doing ok with this dryness but still need a bit of a drink.

5 Comments:

Blogger John said...

All this work on a holiday? You make me feel guilty. Maybe I should go pick some veggies too. I should probably wait til dark though so the farmer doesn't get mad. heh heh

8:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hehe.
John, I thought by now you would have caught on that this type of activity for me is never work.
How goes it?

9:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The season really is winding down. As said before, it is a weedy mess. There are a few tomatoes left and my second crop of corn is almost ready.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Thanks for the tip about the jalapenos...how about freezing whole red bell peppers? :) OK, maybe that wouldn't work...or would it? I guess you never know until you try! *grin*

I know you can buy frozen chopped bell peppers--so why not try it whole? :)

9:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mathman, more corn sounds good.

Miss Healthypants, I would try sweet peppers frozen whole, yessir!

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home