Saturday, August 23, 2008



Excerpts from a Dog's Diary......



8:00 am - Dog food! My favourite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favourite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favourite thing!

<>10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favourite thing!
12:00 pm - Lunch! My favourite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favourite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favourite thing!

5:00 pm - Milk bones! My favourite thing!
6:00 pm
- Oooh, Bath . Bummer.
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favourite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favourite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favourite thing!






Excerpts from a Cat's Daily Diary
. ..


Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.


They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.
In an attempt to show my disgust, I once again vomit on the carpet.& nbsp;


The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape.


Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards.


There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now................




I am struggling with a parental problem. It's gone on for maybe three or four years. My ways of handling it are not going to work in solving or even coming close to managing it.
My daughter is a scaredy cat. High anxiety in the strangest places at the strangest times. Ok, maybe I understand some of the places and times but I can't seem to help her deal constructively with it since it doesn't make sense.
I hit a bump yesterday and we broke down a while. That is to say she had an episode and I blew my cool. Not the usual scenario. I usually talk and cajole and talk and then let her off the hook and give up.
In all her years,I have stood back purposefully to watch. She has presented projects and spoke to crowds since she was in first grade. She makes grades I only dreamed about. She seems well- rounded in social gatherings of her peers and gets on well with grown ups, especially those she knows.
However, ask her to order her own food at a drive thru or restaurant or speak to someone about a job, make a phone call for general information and she has a break down of amazing proportions. I'm stumped. I am so tired of talking her into doing stuff I KNOW she can handle.

The way I feel about this is she has to eventually buck up and do this stuff for herself or she is going to be a misfit who can't take care of the smallest detail of a normal existence. SHE will suffer. And the only way besides medication (sort of kidding since I know it's real anxiety) is to push on thru and make herself do it. She will survive the experience and she can draw from the positive for the next time.
Blah.
So now, since I know I am not making any difference in my approach, I need to come at it from another direction. I have to think about it.

Last night I rented "Match Point", the Woody Allen drama. What a great movie.
Tonight I have Johhny Depp in "The Libertine". I haven't seen this either. Love me some Depp and I do so love those period films.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So much in this post... I thank you cat for the insight. I now trust my cats less than before.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Mom said...

Dogs and cats are different.
Kids are different. I have no idea how to help E overcome her anxiety. I hate using the phone too, but I do what I must. She will do what she needs to do when she must. I wouldn't worry too much. She is bright and confident. She will do what she must do when she needs to do do it.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've had dogs that fit the "cat" personality and cats that fit the "dog" personality. Maybe not all cats need to be mistrusted? Maybe you are safe, Mathman.

Mom, sometimes after I get all worked up over these kids and glitches, I realize (especially when someone slaps me upside the head with it), I over-react and lose time worrying.
You are totally right about E getting her act together when she is ready.
Next time I go nuts, remind me of this post, ok?

5:47 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

being in the thick of the kid with anxiety sweepstakes-- I feel ya! I find that if I remind Rhia of times she has overcome the anxiety to do the right thing it seems to help. What we've been doing lately is talking, asking questions and listening but staying firm in the faith that she can do this. Keep giving E opportunities to succeed-- and Mom's right, she will do it. Thanks for your kind words :)

8:33 AM  
Blogger MarkEC said...

My daughter has had her share of anxiety issues. I hear it is quite common among adolescent girls, but I had never been an adolescent girl so it caught me a bit off guard. You are torn between being supportive and understanding and trying to push them to overcome and conquer. The hardest part is never knowing when it's going to happen. I understand your frustration!

11:38 AM  
Blogger MarkEC said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:38 AM  
Blogger MarkEC said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Yolinna. And I am easily spazzed out over stuff I shouldn't get spazzed over. I need to figure out how to relax and take things slow. And that talking, listening, asking questions thing might work too!
Markec, yup, that's the problem-my frustration and impatience. When is she gonna grow out of it?! I always seem to focus on the worst case scenario.
I accept your empathy!

4:01 PM  
Blogger walk2write said...

Your cat's "thoughts" remind me of ours back home. It's easy to imagine them thinking: If I were bigger, I would eat you! Maybe your daughter's anxiety about certain situations comes from an intuitive sense that something could be inappropriate and/or potentially dangerous. Sounds like she has a sensitive spirit--a rare quality that is fast disappearing in our pushy society. It may be that keeping a journal of her thoughts about a scary situation will help her determine their validity later on.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Walk2write,E has one of the most sensitive spirits I've encountered. It sure makes it hard on her sometimes but it's also a good thing.

We have yet to determine how to work around those scary moments for her but we agreed what we have been doing separately isn't working.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home