Friday, June 20, 2008

The Rest of the Photos..


Waiting with bated breath?
I thought so.
This little bed is so full of stuff ! I am going to have to dig it up and replace soil since I blindly planted some peppermint and an artemisia that have taken over. Duh. They have choked out my bleeding heart. What are left besides the aforementioned plants are the Shasta daisy, a very beautiful sea oats grass (behind the daisy), some of Gramma's orange fragrant daylillies, Stella D'Oro daylillies, thyme, oregano, Russian sage, and a nice stand of tulips and daffodils. I managed to transplant some very pretty hollyhocks in this year from sprouts out of the school garden. They look a tad peaked but will bust out, I have no doubt.



This bed is equally a mess. It's unfortunate I have two very unkempt beds in the front. No "Gardener of the Month" trophy for me...
This bed had another invasive plant taking over- tansy. It will require me to disassemble it entirely, sift thru the soil to remove as many bits of roots as possible before it will recover and even then it will have bits of tansy I'll have to yank. I love tansy so I'll find another planting place. It's leaves when added to compost will hasten breakdown and add ...something good to the mix, I can't remember. Blah. Plus it's a pretty plant once it's in bloom and quite attractive to butterflies and bees.


My Colorado spruce- I wish I had my house surrounded
by these. I'd like to cover it with white Christmas lights in the winter but I don't own a bucket truck to get them up there. The cones it has are the most fantastic I've seen.





My potato experiment- it's going pretty well. They are ready to have another 8" of soil added to the bags to encourage growth of more lateral shoots and hence more potatoes. I like the cheap alternative of using my soil bags and a freezer basket- still using my clothes washer but i bet by this time next year it's basket will be in use as a potato planter.


I know the use of Forsythia in the Midwest garden is so ho-hum. But thank goodness for them.
I use them as cheap, fast growing screening shrubs. This particular specimen is really gorgeous in bloom and has grown nicely in it's spot. It's twice as large as the same variety found around front planted in the same year.

I'll be gone a few days to my mom's again. You know what that means?
No Greeny- no fun. Sorry. I'll miss you all too.
By the way, E got her license.


9 Comments:

Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

Have a good time and be safe.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Eeek license?

Your baby is growing up.

This calls for Vodka!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

Hooray for E!
By the way, your previous garden post inspired me and I have trimmed all the hedges in the front of my house.
Travel safely.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Simon said...

Congratulations to E. I knew she'd do it. Have fun at your moms.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok, Iamnot. You too!

Check, Jetpass. And perhaps some tissues...

Mom, pictures are in order. Did you get creative or did you stay safe and go for the geometric design?

Simon, I'll tell her and thanks.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

seatbelts all 'round.

hope you had a good trip to your mom's. did you let e drive?

11:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No prob with the seatbelts. It's a rule.
I did let her drive and even J got a little practice on the gravel road.

10:04 PM  
Blogger John said...

Miss me? I have been...how you say...obsessed. Missed reading your stuff. My fault, not yours. Looks like your garden is coming along. Have fun.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, well, look what the cat dragged in!
John, I've noticed your absence. GLad you visited. And what is taking your time up?

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home