Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Only Four Days Gone

-But it seems like a week! The yard is grown up and needs a cut just like J's hair. He has the largest hair, maybe to rival Lyle Lovette's..

The Reunion. There was So. Much. Food. And talking. All night, all day. There was target shooting with the crazy cousins from Michigan and their 18 guns plus my mom's new revolver. These people actually travelled from Michigan with all of those guns. Crazy and extreme is right. I got a pic of Mother during her practice but I don't want to perpetuate the stereotype of ..well, you know.

There was a book compiled on the Provance family with photos (those didn't turn out too well in printing which was very sad) and many documents and information albeit sketchy, dating back to the 1700's. Not enough legal documents left or filed in the first place by illiterate people. Lots of fires at court houses where things were filed which didn't help matters either.
The reunion was started as a way for the 13 kids of Frank and Ella, my dad's grandparents, to keep close. The book details some of the life that was very rough for them as a family but nothing out of the ordinary. They were just ordinary folks. And it comes down to the present day families. It's just that being our story makes it special. And now there are only 2 or the 13 left. One of the brothers is very ill but made an appearance. It won't be long for him, I'm afraid and he is like the grandfather we never had since my dad's dad died when my dad was 11. My brother will miss him most.
We had the Saturday evening get together at my uncle's house which used to be the Baptist church I started out in as a baby. My kids were a bit freaked out. The sanctuary is now the Pickin' Parlor where my uncle and his musical cronies have Friday and Saturday night gatherings. He bought the church building after the church dissolved from lack of attendance back in the 80's. It serves a nice purpose to be used for our family that always attended there. We karaoked some of which ended up on video online (ack!) and in general had a blast. All we needed was a keg...kidding.

I saw my dad every day while I was there and he looked so good. He knew me a little which did my heart good. I didn't get time to take him for a ride in his red truck, though. We used to do that and he said he wanted to when I asked him.
Some of the cousins went to see him which was good. His own two brothers don't even go see him. On that note, I'm going to my happy place now instead of where I would embarrass myself.


Spending the day getting things tidied up and plans made for Erin and her birthday. I don't even have a card at this very moment but I shall hop on the trusty bike and wheel off to the pharmacy. She had a lot of iced tea last night and so didn't sleep well. I think I can get back with her never knowing I went.
J spent the night at the neighbors and most likely will have had no sleep. I will have a hard time getting anything out of him and of course, E will play the birthday card all day today. I guess I'll let her.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

How wonderful to have the family church remain in the family as a gathering place. If the walls could talk I bet we could hear some wonderful stories.
Watching my parents go through a long and difficult old age was one of the hardest things I ever did. My thoughts now only linger on all the wonderful memories.
Blessings to you.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Susan Lucente said...

What character your family seems to have! Sounds like a fun bunch :-)

Glad your dad "knew" you even if only for a little while this visit. It's so hard when people we've been closest to all our lives don't know us anymore.

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home