Wednesday, June 04, 2008

I've always been too easy going in my child rearing methods. It's been a hard road to learning I'm the boss.
Lately my kids have had a way of making me come unglued. I know it's universal for children to talk back and with a raised voice, at that. And you can't yell at kids for yelling at you, now can you?
E has always had a "tone" to her exasperated answer. I call her on it. Apparently I haven't done a good enough job prevented it from continuing. Now J is using it. And I plucked his tongue out basically yesterday over it.
Now I know it's a family trait for my nostrils to flare.

Still working when I get the chance at the "Dirty Girls Farm" where our berries and grapes are showing great signs of loving their homes. We had ground hogs nipping some of the tender shoots off the grapes and digging up a berry plant but we devised a method of extermination. Don't ask. The problem has disappeared. Now it's time to feed and mulch the plants good.
Our asparagus needs to be put in and we chose to make the raised bed it's home. We just need to get those stupid concrete blocks and build it. As soon as my neck is not wrenched out and Andrea's hand is not aching from playing softball the last day of school, we may get to it. Blah, we are old and out of shape....
Then it's a strawberry bed we need to build. I've got them potted up and they are waiting patiently for a home.
You know how your kids look like they've grown a bunch if you've been gone for a week? My tomato plants are the same way. They are HUGE!

I had another call last night from the guy who owns the orchard. He is desperate. It's peach thinning time and in only 3 weeks some of the 1000 trees will begin bearing. He can't find anyone but high schoolers to thin or pick and he wanted me to oversee both. I ALMOST said yes because he needs help so bad but I stopped myself. I'm still mulling over the idea at this very moment of taking J and E and doing it anyway. She needs a job and J could do it too.

One job that is calling out is the shed painting. I have to get our supplies so we can knock that baby out in the next week. It looks sad out there all faded.

Cheers, folks.

8 Comments:

Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

I don't yell at my kids for yelling at me...I smack their backsides. Yours are a bit old for that now.
Go for the peach thing...you know you want to.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

My son is a tween and there are times when it's the tone that can get my blood boiling. I have learned that the more I speak calmly the better chance I have of disfusing him. It make takes a long while but he'll come around.

I agree you can't yell back at yellers and you can't spank hitters either. I have some fear in my child of me, the way it should be. The unknown of what mom might do.

I think you should take the orchard job. I think it would be wonderful for the kids to do some old fashinoned manual labor. Ohhh peaches, I'm drooling thinking about cobbler and peach ice cream. Yum.

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cringe. I still have memories of some of the 'tone' I unloaded on my mom all those years ago. I'm sure I have it coming. My music teacher in high school told me I was tone deaf. Does that mean I won't notice my daughter's down the road?

Ah, ground hogs. My daughter thinks they are cute. City girl. I have very vivid memories of the 'cough-cough' extermination efforts on our family farm.

12:53 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

kids are always mouthy at some point-i think it's their way of trying to find their place in this world. sometimes i say ya gotta show 'em....know what i'm sayin? but yeah, they outgrow it...eventually lol.

i was just eating tomatoes off of the vine tonight...one of my favorite meals. YUM!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

You sound very busy.
If you don't kill your kids for being mouthy they will become your best friends. Cut them a little slack.
Peaches would be lovely if you think you have the time.
I would love come and help harvest the crop you are working so hard to reap.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Iamnot, that's exactly what would have happened to me or a smack across the mouth after ONE warning.
And the peach thing is a lot of extra work. Im wondering where I would find the time to fit everything else around it. I guess Im spoiled with summers basically off...
Jetpass, the cold, calculated, quiet tone has an amazing way of getting their attention but I can't pull it off. All I manage is the nostril flare. And they fear me not.
Thanks for reminding me of the peach ice cream thing...Thanks a lot.
Lisa, you and I have a lot in common about the extermination methods...Glad to see you, by the way.
Kimmy, I know what you mean. And Viva Le Ripeo Tomato! Can't wait to make some fresh salsa!

Mom, I just want to make them fear and respect me so when I say to do or not to do something, they will obey. Then when it's really important, they will listen. I would add a little ice cream now and then to help matters along, of course.
Mom, have you ever experienced peach fuzz down your shirt neck in 95 degree sweltering humid heat? Come on down!
Now wouldn't that be excellent if we started hosting bloggers vacations for real?! Like time shares!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I can't read any more until you tell me how you got rid of the ground hog. the tops of my hostas are eaten down. arg!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

I'm not sure about the peach fuzz in the heat. I buy my peaches at the farmers market. I'll make lemonade and bring it to share with all those sweaty peach pickers.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home