Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Gardener With Issues

I was sitting outside this morning admiring my yard. I posted photos of things running through my mind about some of it.

My house has some some very hardy privets across the front. Last night I beat them into some submission since I couldn't even tell if someone had driven up. I hate taking the nice arching branches and making them into boxes. Truth be told, I let them get out of hand by not clipping them much one year and now they can't be brought back to a decent size with even heavy pruning. I decided I would yank them out this winter and start with something smaller next year. Anyone that knows me knows I am not one to cut down anything that is not absolutely necessary.




One of my favorite plantings is cannas. Talk about an easy big gorgeous plant! Very showy and is useful for screening purposes. I have them everywhere in my yard- shading the a/c, screening some of my patio, screening out some of the other houses. I'm into screening....

I'd like to get some other varieties but these produce so well I don't need anymore. But then again, need and want are two different things, right?



Ahhh, sedums! Next to cannas, another easy plant and so textural.. Nice show in the fall as well.

Notice the salvaged disk blade retrofitted for the garden? Courtesy of my brother.






This beautiful Black Lace whatever the name is resides nicely this year under my redbud and beside my holly. Tucked in there is a butterfly weed that really needs to be moved to more sun. My grandmother's daylillies probably need more sun as well. This little bed is sort of my hospital and screening bed for the house next door. It has the best soil in the whole yard.




I love the way these gooseneck loosestrife blooms look like they are undulating. Not really a very pretty plant without them and pretty invasive. This is luckily a perfect planting area for "invasive".






A plain old rose bush, whatever kind it is, came from my great aunt's and great grandmother's home place. It actually came from a start from my parents house that came from the original bush. It looks amazing due to the extra moisture this Spring (sorry, you thirsty gardeners). Again, another wise choice for this area (I hate chain link but better than nothing) and for screening.


My hops, getting impatient for me to get the shed painted so it can take over. I keep having to remove the vines from scrambling up the fencing.






This white pine was given to E when she was in 3rd grade as part of Missouri Arbor Day in conjunction with the Department of Conservation. All 3rd graders get a tree of some kind each year- cool, huh? I planted this when we moved in in '03. It's doing pretty well.






This is one of the seedlings I bought from the Dpt. of Conservation this year. It had a lot of catching up to so. Once again, I planted this in the same line of shrubs the other pine is in to- anyone? anyone? screen out the neighbors.



This is my patio side of the hospital bed. Note the white pines planted too close together? I left them both in there a couple of summers ago when they were bestowed upon me as extras from a golf course planting. Now it's a bit late to remove one. I also planted my baby evergreens in there until I can get them planted into drier soil.



One of my favs- fragrant Mock Orange. Not really a showy shrub but the bloom's fragrance makes up for it.









It's only a matter of a few days before this baby is bursting with blooms for the butterflies. What an easy shrub.










That's not all but since this has taken me an hour to upload photos and get my copy written, I'm done for today. My stinking computer is running slow as tar. I figure it needs some attention from the local guy.

Cheers!




















































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































10 Comments:

Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

(weird space there)

I know you hate to cut back those hedges in front, but it is a good idea. They pose a security risk too. I agree that natural shapes are better than square or spherical hedges. Your back yard has so many pretty things in it!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

I had the same security thought about the hedges in front. Replace them with something that will never grow that big again.
Love callas...no place that they'll grow in my current house though. Too much sun.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't now how that happened, AM. One of the many things that was going freaky when I was posted. It took me at least 30 minutes to upload the pics and another to reposition them and it didn't even work!
Something needs to be done for the aesthetic issue as well as the security issue! Ugly!
Honestly if left alone, they would be nice looking shrubs with a nice growing hobit- just not in front of my windows.
AAwww, Iamnot..you like callas? They are goegeous and I bet you could take some nice photos of them too.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Weeping Sore said...

What's the secret to making the callas re-bloom? I have some lovely ones that return annually with their nice stems and leaves, but no amount of organic fertilizer persuades them to flower.

I recognize your black lace bush. It's a sambucus, which is, I believe, an elderberry cultivar. I've got a few small bushes too, and learned too late that they're deciduous - by pulling out an empty stem of the first one I grew. Now into their second spring, the successors of the first one I killed have yet to flower.

But, most of all, I envy your hop vines. I got two hop rhizomes from Oregon, installed them in May at either end of a trellis and water them lavishly daily. They're little more than sprouts. Do you know the name of the hop vine you're growing?

2:39 PM  
Blogger Susan Lucente said...

We took the kids to the children's garden at a local museum yesterday and watched a guy do an Edward Scissorhands on three hedges (similar to yours), when he was finished, he had a choo choo train, three hedges turned into an engine, a train car and a caboose. Very cute. With your creativity, you could work magic on those hedges. :-)

11:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

WS, it was cannas I have. You know. the big banana leafed, tropical plants that you grow from rhizsomes.
Maybe callas like soil that is not so nutritious to bloom. You know, what you describe sounds like a lot of nitrogenwhich promotes lusj growth but inhibits bloom. Or maybe it's a moisture problem? I'll have to look that up.
I haven't tried callas before. I used to work in a very large greenhouse and garden center and when we would get the summer bulb shipment (and fall shipment) I was in heaven since it had all those beautiful types of bulbs including callas. I had never seen some of them.
Yeah, the sambucus- that's it! I removed the tag last year and forgot to write it down in my garden log. I've seen the ad for the Proven Wineer brand for them in several magazines but that too is a long search. I bought it thinking it would look similar to a Japanese maple.
Maybe yours will come around with time.
About the hops variety- I don't remember any varietal name on the tag. I can't be sure where I even got it. This is it's fourth year and I do very little to it. In fact, the soil it's in is very average, almost clay-like and I understand they like a lighter soil than that. Sounds like you're doing everything right- you just have finicky plants!
I love the way they scramble up the side of my shed and I hope to build some sort of pergola on one side for them to cover each year.

Butterfly, fun! So I should go the topiary route? I hadn't thought about that. Perhaps this year I'll do that until this winter when I yank them out. Now to choose what sort of shape..hhmmmm(thoughtful pose).
You reminded me I had bought a rosemary plant to start a topiary design with. I should get busy on it.
Hope you are doing ok! Hows the new addition?

6:41 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Dear madam blogville garden club president, thank you so much for opening up your home for this year's tour. you have a lovely variety of specimens. i'd be honored to be invited back next year.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gracias! Mi casa, su casa, y mi plantas su plantas!
Any time...

10:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Greeny - thanks for the tour of your garden!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome, mathman. I like the attention.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home