Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day- I would say something sappy here but instead I found things others have said about fathers that resonate with me and make me think of my father and his influences on my life. And some were just funny....


"It is a wise father that knows his own child." -- William Shakespeare

"It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was." -- Anne Sexton

"One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters." -- English Proverb

"To be a successful father . . . there's one absolute rule: when you have a kid, don't look at it for the first two years." -- Ernest Hemingway

"I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection." -- Sigmund Freud

"I watched a small man with thick calluses on both hands work fifteen and sixteen hours a day. I saw him once literally bleed from the bottoms of his feet, a man who came here uneducated, alone, unable to speak the language, who taught me all I needed to know about faith and hard work by the simple eloquence of his example." -- Mario Cuomo

"If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated, let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right." -- Bill Cosby

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years. ~Mark Twain, "Old Times on the Mississippi" Atlantic Monthly, 1874

Thanks, Daddies everywhere! I salute you..

3 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

I miss my daddy.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

Had a long talk with mine yesterday...so glad to still have him.
I reminded him, once again, that it is his example I'm following and I thanked him for that.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you miss him, it must mean you had a good relationship. I miss mine too but I wouldn't say it was the relationship I miss, more the secure feeling he gave me.

Iamnot, that's the thing the holiday makes us do besides giving bad gifts, is take a moment and make them understand how we feel about them. It might be the only time in the year it's really done.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home