Friday, June 06, 2008

All the rain we had this spring plus the fertilizer I spread on the yard and around the plantings have perhaps created monsters! I was mowing Wednesday evening around my white pine and burning bushes, realising they had put on tons of new growth. It was hard to reach in under the pine to mow it had gained so much new growth. The word is LUSH. Usually by this time, things are a bit dry around here and we are wishing for some rain. Not so this year. And I'm loving it since my objective is screening as much as possible with my shrubs and trees.
What we have been having is gusty wind all day and all night for 5 days now. I mean 43 mile per hour gusts yesterday!
Ok, enough weather school. Talk about a geek alert, people.
I've got things planted in every nook and cranny this year. I just put in some peat pots of cucumbers over in a shrub bed to crawl up my chain link. Similar things are tucked here and there in unlikely places. Shrug. I have valuable space being taken up in my garden by bequeathed raspberry bushes, peonies, iris, and strawberries that I moved out of my original strawberry bed to improve it before moving them back- just haven't managed it. So I am using other real estate for vegetables.
Rumor has it I will have next week to myself. The kid's dad is taking them. I'm all giddy! But then, Ill miss them horribly while they are gone. I hate that catch.

9 Comments:

Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

I missed mine for the week...but it was nice.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I'm so jealous! I finally put in 4 'maters this morning. My veggie bed is really the flower bed in front of the shrubs. I'd love to put in more but Flopsy et al welcome the free lunch.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Weeping Sore said...

Isn't it fun to "rearrange the furniture" in your garden? I love the time when I can take things that have grown too big for their pots and find permanent homes for them. My practice is to leave 'em in pots first to see if they like the location.
I'll take some of your rain if you don't mind sending it down here.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lawdy the wind has been blowing here too!
"weather geek alert" cracked me up :)

I was just thinking today how everything is so green and lush now..I just love it.

5:43 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

my kids are gone til tomorrow and omg. i dont know what to do with myself. i mean, it's quiet and i dont have to cook if i dont want to.

hellooooo...a week? i'd go nuts probably but it would be nice knowing they were safe and sound and i could relax.

enjoy your quiet time!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's been a busy week with summer school, baseball and all. I been mostly pulling weeds and moving a few volunteer tomatoes.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Iamnot, theres no getting around the missing. It can impede enjoyment for sure.
Anne, having hungry wildlife to deal with would be a pain.
Our farm plants have/will have more of those problems than me here in town.
WS, I don't leave them potted very often but I am not above digging them and moving them to a better performing spot. Or healing them into the garden until I get to them, which really is the case for the mentioned plants.
The rain has slacked some. Not as much as predicted but if I could, I would send you some. Those posts of how dry you have it makes me fret.
Manic, it finally is calm here today. I might even get to sit outside and keep my hairdo this morning...
And this has to be the most gorgeous Spring/Summer for lush growth Ive ever seen. It came at a pretty big price for some unfortunately.
Kimmy, it is culture shock for me when they are gone. At least it's easier than it used to be when he took them 4 weeks out of the summer. I was a mess.
But I'll be busy.
Mathman, are you like me and never employ your slave labor for gardening? I was thinking I should have them help me but then I realized it would be loud and annoying with their griping just like I did when I was young. Then the nice experience would be ruined...
And volunteer tomatoes? YOu are an heirloom seed guy?

7:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

-Heeling them in the garden...

7:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Greeny - the slave labor around here is cantankerous - are really not an option especially if the garden provides some sort of solace.

The volunteers occur due to lazy end of season gardening. I notice that the volunteers come-up two places 1 - where they were last year and in last years compost. I have made a real effort to pull up most of them. But I can't help it I let some of them grow and move them.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home