Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thursday Afternoon and the Livin' Is Easy

After yesterday, any day would seem lovely.
Title I people covered a double recess for every grade- K thru 5th in the morning, which translates to 4 hours straight of standing up. (Sitting gives the wrong impression to passersby on the street who look over and see playground teachers sitting on our fat rumps.) We did this so the teachers could enter their grades on the computer and any last minute paperwork needed. We are loved.
Then, much to all our distress, the principal decides to cover a long afternoon of non-work with a faculty softball game. I have to admit it was fun. But by the end of the day my feet first felt like balloons and then like cement blocks. And..I broke a nail.

Today, however I find myself able to investigate the repair info for my 5 year old Kenmore washer which is slowly losing its transmission oil and putting out a distinct whining sound once in awhile during the rinse cycle. Yeah, it's pretty much shot craps as I understand it. Too much to pay to get it fixed unless I DIY. Might as well either repair it myself if I can find the tools or buy a new cheap one. About 5 years is all you can expect. And I figure a new one will last even less time. I may just use this one until it quits and THEN buy a new one.
I even had a chance to head down to the local Asian restaurant and get take out which usually increases my weight by 2/3rds more with the sodium/MSG content. My fortune cookie held this- "your talents will prove to be especially useful this week". Anyone, anyone?

Everyone wave goodbye to Simon who has been here in the U.S. perusing the pro shops and country clubs of Northern Illinois and a bit of code writing when he has a chance...He leaves tomorrow. Ciao, Simon.

Tomorrow is our last day of school - half a day. We leave school to head up to a friend's house in Springfield who will ply us with margaritas and a hot tub for visiting her. She retired two years ago and she is finding herself increasingly lonely since her husband is a consultant that is out of town most weeks. I hope she stays needy....I need margaritas and hot tub time....

10 Comments:

Blogger Weeping Sore said...

Oh my, you life is busy! I do enjoy garden blogs when they stray into the blogger's real life. We can't spend all our time "cultivating our gardens" as Candide advised. We have washing machines to take out and shoot, school business, etc.
My feet hurt just reading your description.
I do have some advice on the washing machine. This year, I planted potato starts in an old washing machine tub I spray painted green and "re-purposed" as a potato bin. Put the potato starters in the bottom on an inch of good compost. As the vines grow, bury them in more compost until the tub is full and the vines overflow. My tub is almost full of compost by now and planted seed potatoes 4/15. The tub is a perfect raised bed for potatoes because the holes allow the roots to breathe and drain. I was going to do the black garbage bag hung on a nail to a fence - plant spuds in the bottom and as the vines grew, fill it in. The green wash tub looks much nicer than a garbage bag, and curious visitors are attracted.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

I wonder what talents its going on about??

2:16 PM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

The end of the school year is a good thing. We have endings this week and next.
Now, what to do about next year?

2:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am glad tomorrow is the last day of school, too. But in GA we have post planning 2 days where teachers are held hostage by Southern mosseying.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm margaritas and a hot tub??? I wanna go with you!!!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

WS, I read that a few ties before I got what you were saying about the tub being EXTRACTED from the machine before being used for a planter. But what a briiliant idea! Makes me want to indeed shoot the machine now and rip that tub outta there and get my potaoes planted. I do have some nice Russina Banana and Ruby Reds to plant. It may even be too late!

Simon, it's still a question to me as well.
HOpe your stay was pleasant here in the States! Too bad things were bolluxed up for a visit.

Iamnot, I wish I could give you a hug and tell you things will get better. I will send strong feel- good vibes to you. And will read your vents when you need...

Mathman, I avoided that by not being certified. I do pay a price however, in the end by not making any money... And I do mean "end"!

Isn't it better once the kids aren't there? Oh, wait, you still can't drink on campus tho...

8:29 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

Our kids still have 2 more weeks of class. They and their teachers are ready for summer.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

I assume your use of the term "bolluxed" is meant to be the charming English word "bollocksed" which as we both know is slang for something that has gone t1ts up....hehe

7:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It has been so quick and yet so slow a year, mom. I have hardly taken time to think about the summer and plan. I hope this quiet weekend affords me an opportunity...

Yes, Simon, you assumed correctly. I think we've covered that particular word's meaning recently...

8:42 AM  
Blogger John said...

I tried that potatoes in the washer once but my underwear came out all brown.

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home