Sunday, March 16, 2008

Saturday's Project



Even though it was 40 degrees, yesterday I spent the afternoon working by myself here at the farm. This is the setting for the gardening venture Andrea and I have set out on.

This house is over 100 years old and the homestead of Andrea's MIL. She and Jeff lived here until they built a log home just down the drive from where the bottom photo is shot. It needs bu coos of work. It may serve eventually as the sales building and perhaps canning and processing of veggies for sale. It's far in the future and things have already morphed in different directions since we started thinking about this.


This is directly behind the house to the west. Some of those trees in the yard, just yucky silver maples are going. I am not one to cut down trees willy-nilly but these have to go to make room for fruit trees and asparagus beds.







The wad of tree sprouts, also silver maples directly over the top of these chair is what I worked cutting down although the three largest ones were in the fence line and no matter what way I was going to saw, they were going to fall on the grapes trellised so I left them for now. They will have to come out since we are adding more grapes in there. Note the decrepid outhouse covered in ivy.


This big expanse of lawn that is present in all pics was once the garden area so it should (fingers crossed) be fairly good dirt. I'll get a soil sample today. This is where the raised beds and blackberries, raspberries and strawberries are going in.



To the left across the drive is another piece of lawn that could eventually hold a high tunnel with strawberries. Not sure yet if it's feasible since the woods encroach a bit.

Today looks to be a very nice day with sunshine and temps in the 60's. Yay!

5 Comments:

Blogger BeaK. said...

Hi greeny,

I have enjoyed seeing your homestead and learning a bit about your goals for same. It has old world charm, something that is quickly disappearing from our landscape. I have in the past lived in and updated 2- old Victorian houses, while it is a delightful experience it can also be very energy consuming and mood sapping. *smile* just enjoy what the day brings and don't get too involved in tomorrow.

Happy Gardening!

Bea Kunz
http://www.sagehillfarmsandvintagestore.com
http://kunzdurham.blogspot.com

10:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

At least you were able to get our yesterday. We had a crazy spinning storm.

Old house our in Illinois had several Silver Maples. I miss them. So we planted two a couple years ago along with some fruit trees.

Since the weather did not cooperate with us this weekend and now we still have no electricity I am sitting in a cafe with power internet and coffee.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

I see only peaceful vistas where you see raised beds and fruit trees. I admire your energy and dreams. Happy gardening.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

I've just caught up on your last three... (How are you dear?) and I can say...

1) the farm project looks amazing - Im completely jealous you're doing something like this
2) My posts have become more mellow since I started - there were more things that made me angry than there are now, although I still dont sound very up-beat very often.
So you're not the only one to notice a change in your own temperament over time. I think its inevitable.

2:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bea, I can imagine a fixer-upper, even a grand old Victorian would cause me to medicate for high blood pressure. But like child rearing, you probably look back with pride and say "How the h*ll did I do that?".
I did enjoy the day totally. I hadn't felt that exhilarated in a while. My endorphines actaully came out to greet and thank me.

Mathman, sorry your down time involved a such nasty situation. I loved your cyber cafe postings, however! Thanks for tagging me.
Hope things clear well for you all.

Believe me Mom, it will be peaceful and still a vista I will enjoy every time I am out there.

Thanks Simon *grin*

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home