Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Again With the Snow And Ice

Ack! Out of school today. Sniff. I'm fighting that feeling of depression very hard. I've got to come up with a plan to keep my spirits high. Maybe some crafting and seed ordering.
The Y is closed if the school is closed so that's not an option. It sure felt good yesterday to work up a sweat on the equipment. Then I came home and promptly fell asleep on the couch. Blah. God, maybe I really do need Geritol, no kidding. That's a depressing thought, for sure.

Why is it on normal school days the kids have to be wedged out of bed with hand tools but on snow days, they get up at the crack of dawn and bug the crap out of me?

Heehee, this still makes me snicker- I'm just that juvenile.








This past weekend while I was at my parent's, I went to see my dad in the nursing home. He laughed and laughed when he saw me which, we assume, means he knew me. I talked about it being time to make a garden and that I would like to go to Ashcraft's store to buy my seed if they were still in business. I talked about what I was going to grow and about the times we made a garden when I was a kid. I talked about taking him for his favorite thing- a ride, which I used to do every time I came home before he went in the nursing home. It's not as much of an option now but I still intend to try it come summer.
Anyway, he laughed and kept pointing to my mouth and chin. Don't know what that was about. He was engaged for a good deal of time. Then we walked around out in the fenced courtyard for his hall. He walks the perimeter like a dog in a fenced.
It was a good visit really. So much of the time, he sleeps. We have to make it during a time he is awake.
My sister has a great deal of trouble bringing herself to go visit Daddy. She IS soft hearted but usually realistic about stuff so her not going to visit him is not like her. I guess she just can't bring herself to see him in this condition. She may get better as time goes but I am afraid if when he gets closer to dying , she will not go then either and then she'll hate herself for missing her chance. Obviously, we haven't communicated about it either. I guess I could ask her about it, huh?
She went weekend before last when I was home. My brother and his family, my sister and brother-in-law, and I went to see him. She just teared up and couldn't talk. My brother and I usually joke around with him saying things like " Daddy, you ready to go hoe some cotton?" to which he replies " I don't want none of that". It's pretty funny because he was always ready to go out and hoe cotton when we were growing up. We were the ones saying we didn't want none of that.

Have a nice Tuesday and remember -

A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

5 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

This can be a depressing time - winter feels endless. We never get snow days here - which I suppose is a good thing (my son would beg to differ).

It must be difficult visiting your father and I can understand your sis' feelings. Maybe you can talk to her - the thing is it does get easier to visit the more often you go.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

More snow? We had lots of rain. Could the drought be ending? But we are close to planting time. I may have won my case for staying! I look forward to start the tilling.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

It was 70 degrees here today, but your cold and snow is heading our way.
I have two brothers. When my mom was in the nursing home my older brother visited faithfully almost every day. He didn't stay long, but he said he just needed to check and make sure she was ok. My younger brother seldom went. For him it was just too painful. I lived 3000 miles away and always felt sad and guilty that I could not go often.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

Im sorry about your dad. It must be hard for your sister seeing someone she once thought of as so strong and dependable to be at the place he's at. Im sure with all your support she'll be able to overcome her reluctance and be able to visit more often. We don't get snow days here either, but sometimes I wish for a "too many @ssholes in the world" day... :-(

1:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, kate. Our weather has been atrocious this winter so it's left everyone with a depressed feeling I think.

My sister has always been a matter of fact kind of person with lots of common sense so this approach she has taken is surprising to me. I think it is definitely tied to the fact he was the strong leader in the family so seeing him in a situation such as the nursing home blows her concept of how things should have turned out. It hurts to accept it when she sees it.
I do support her feelings or try to make her feel shes making a mistake by not seeing Daddy. In fact, I accept its too hard on her right now. I only hope she doesn't regret it.

Mathman, do you mean litigation or begging you may have won at? Whatever the case, I hope it's smooth sailing for you or planting, as the case may be.
And I sure hope the drought is over. I have an Uncle in Appling who keeps us up to date on conditions in GA, which I know are critical. We have been flirting around with drought here every year for the last 5. I think we might be getting caught up here as well.
Mom, I hope you don't get too much snow- if you don't want it.
My brother grew extremely close to my father while they were farming together so when this came about, he felt like he had lost a friend as well as a father. It hit him hard so he can't not go to see him and as he said maybe bring Daddy some joy for the day plus check on his status in all ways. My mom goes every day and spends a good deal of time there. She has the same feeling- she can't not go.
I miss seeing him so I am adament about visitng when I am at my mom's.
I figure one day things will be better for my sister and maybe I can help her with her reluctance. Time will tell.
Simon, there is a perfect reason to take a personal day right there....
Thanks for stopping in, stranger.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home