Friday, February 08, 2008

I picked up my daughter after school today. My son was staying to do some ensemble practicing since contest for middle school is coming up.
I took my daughter home and then handed her off to her boyfriend's parents that were attending his basketball game out of town.
I went after my son about 6 pm at the band room. We transported his #1 choice of girl friends from the band room where she had been practicing, to the Y to wait for her mom. It was dark and it was on our way.
When she exited the car and we had started off, J said "Gosh I really like her". Even as I write this I am getting choked up. The emotion in his voice was so pure- not that he is pure, mind you. He has been so careful in his planning when it comes to Ali. He is trying in just the right ways although I haven't seen him in action at school. No telling what might happen there.

It's freaky to see my son growing up and opening up with emotions. I hoped he would be more open than any male in my life has ever been. It seems he is able to be open about feelings so there is hope.
And about males in my life- as I worried openly that he had 20 minutes before the dance started and I didn't have anything started for supper (I was waiting til he got home to make burgers for us) and what could he eat, he calmly replied a pb and j would suffice. I made that and a big glass of milk for him. He thanked me and we talked a bit while he stuffed his mouth full.

At this point I had a flashback or something similar to a time when my brother would come home from working in the field back in the late 70's and have like 20 minutes or something ungodly to get showered, changed and eat before he was out the door for a date. He always managed because my mom would get supper of some sort for him. Yeah, she doted to a certain degree.
That's what I did and the feelings I shared with J tonight were the very same shared by my mom and brother back then. Love and gratitude.


I don't what is going on with my spell check. It won't let me use it. So I apologize for my messiness.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

Those special moments with our kids come in 20 minute spurts at times we weren't planning. These moments are meant to be savored.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

True, Mom and I try to savor.

8:32 AM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

i'm not sure how old your children are, but my son is 15 soon to be 16 and he has his first real gf now of the past 8 months and i see him with her and a part of me is impressed that he is so sweet and sincere and another part of me hates it. i'm not so sure i'm ready for there to be another "girl/woman" in my sons life but me, ya know? when he makes plans he always includes her or whatever....

It kind of sucks to see them growing up and into their own and making decisions about such matters.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kimmyk, what you said sounds completely normal. Having both sets of feelings about your son.
Did you coach him to treat his gf the correct way because it sounds like he is doing it right?
And isn't it nice to "like" who he is dating? That way when she is actually along, you don't want to strangle her or gouge your eyes out?
J, my son is 12 and E, my daughter is 15. She is the one I watch. Her mojo and her bf's mojo will get cross-mojonation if I don't keep an eye on them. And talk about scary! That sex part is the scariest thing I can think of.

This is why they invented Valium.

7:00 AM  
Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

You learned from your mom. He'll learn from his and be more open than many.
I love watching my kids explore the first emotions of love.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

My son is nine, and I know I have all this stuff to look forward to, but the thought of him actually getting that old and doing that stuff scares the bejeezus outta me! I have a post along these lines and about fatherhood arriving on my blog soon...

7:19 AM  
Blogger Simon said...

Also touched you miss my comments... the feeling is mutual!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

What a sweet post! When my son had his first girlfriend and I caught them holding hands it was the weirdest feeling. I felt so blessed when he discussed how he felt about her with me before and after the relationship. Thanks for sharing this wonderful time.

10:00 AM  
Blogger kate said...

This was a good post to read, Greeny. It brought back memories of my older bro - and his ability to get ready for dates in minutes.

And then there's my 15-yr-old son and my hopes that I've been able to teach him well.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home