Friday, February 15, 2008

After Coffee, Before My Moring Nap

Another day out of school. According to the administration, back roads which are quite hilly and shaded, are still relatively ice-covered.

Last night's dinner was festive. Slim joined us with flowers and a movie for E. E baked cookies for him and made baked chicken and homemade fries. J ate like a pig. At first, Slim was weirded out but he soon relaxed when he realized we weren't really into formal.

Since the kids were small, we've had a silly, fancy meal in which there are cloth napkins, tablecloth, candles, properly set table (no 3 forks or anything), dress clothes or at least Valentiny clothes and a special meal. We do it for fun and to put an end to monotony for an evening.
I remember once E decided to put on a pageant dress and "do her make-up". She was 5. She dressed J in dress clothes too, so he wouldn't be left out. He was 2. I wish I could whip out that picture to show you.

I've been making out my seed list this morning over java. It is rather extensive but the first draft always is. It all looks so good. It will take many days for me to wrestle it down to a manageable size and price.
I guess this weekend I will investigate some pricing on things like concrete blocks, pvc pipe, soil mixes and perlite. I already have a raised bed for my strawberries at my house but the soil is nasty. My plan is to expand that and replace the soil with a soiless mix that is lightweight and disease free, then plant with my three seasons in mind.
I need to make out my order for strawberry plants and the number of blackberry, raspberry and blueberry canes/bushes we will need at Andrea's. I was planning on putting in some blackberries at my house as well. Those thornless, seedless varieties are to die for! And I think I will order a drawf sour pie cherry tree. They tend to be relatively easy, disease and pest free.

Later I will post about the class my gardening buddy, Andrea and I took here:

http://www.gardeningrevolution.com/

AM was talking about Ken Follet and his new book she was reading. I just finished his book "The Eye of the Needle" which is about as old as I am. That's what happens when you live in a small town- the library has a limited supply of new books. The book was very good so I am a Ken Follet fan.

9 Comments:

Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

I just finished listening to "The Pillars of the Earth" by Follet. It was a present to my wife from a sister.
I enjoyed it. I love historical fiction. However, I found it very predictable and filled with too many characters to allow any one to be well developed.

Don't know nothing 'bout seeds.

10:28 AM  
Blogger nina at Nature Remains. said...

Your plans for berries thrill me. I'm a blackberry picker--the wild ones--and it's a rite of summer for me.
Bug spray, heavy pants and sleeves to the cuffs--and then blackberry cobbler!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Weeping Sore said...

Your seed order sounds like you like pies. All those berries...
Your Valentine's day dinner is a lovely tradition.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I just wanted to stop by and say HELLO!

I grew up on an Island and the library was very, very small. They would order books for us from the larger library but it took weeks. By the time I was 14, I had ready every book in the children's libray.. no joke.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So you were still pulled in enough to enjoy the book, huh? I don't like predictability.

Hi, nina. We have tons of wild blackberries here as well but it is a shame not to grow these blackberry varieties. I'll still spray down with bug spray since chiggers are an integral part of any Ozark's summer. And man, does blackberry cobbler sound good!
Hi, ws. It has been so long since I've had berries or fruit trees to enjoy. I just figured I was ready.
I'm really looking forward to the salad greens and onions.
Hey, ab. Glad to see you here.
Sounds like I should read some of you archives to find out more about you.

4:21 PM  
Blogger John said...

You remind me of my mother. She is always talking gardening and what I can do with my yard to add to it. You don't look like my mother, no way. You're much cuter. Although my mother is quite pretty. Never mind. I'll shut up now.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, John, you silly.
Hope things are well with you and yours.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

You almost make me want tp buy seeds and start a garden, almost but not quite. Just don't enjoy the bugs,and the dirt and the sweat. I have friends with gardens who share their produce. That and roadside stands are my way of getting fresh produce.
Your valentine dinner sounds lovely. You are a good mom.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mom, it is just so much fun! What's not to love about sweat and bugs? I hardly notice them anymore.
There was a time when gnats would drive me crazy and I would sull up when I had to help my parents garden. It was the farthest thing from fun I could imagine.
I don't know when it actually changed.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home