Thursday, January 17, 2008

Some Thoughts to Ponder

This blog -Dry Bones Dance I came across by way of my friend Andrea. I just started reading this morning. ( Most of the school is gone to Incredible Pizza. Thank god for field trips even if they are frivolous. I would never make a respectable administrator because most of these kinds of field trips would be cut out).
I loved the blog. The post I started with was interesting indeed. So stealing this idea for questions...(http://http//drybonesdance.typepad.com/dry_bones_dance/2008/01/utterly-frivolo.html#comments)
1. What is the one thing you would miss most if you were stranded on a tropical island? (And it has to be a thing. We'll all just assume that you would miss your family/significant other/children/friends.)
2. What useful skill would you bring to the table?
3. Who is the one person you would most want to be stranded on said tropical island with you and why? (Other than children/significant other.) It can be for practical or personal reasons.
4. Have you ever sat on a plane, looked our the window, and wondered how and if you would survive if it went down right then? Or is that just me?

Oddly enough, I read her answers and thought they sounded a lot like what I would say, although for the useful skills, I think I could managed to construct living quarters, find reasonable amounts of food, and add simple survival skills to the mix rather well.
I loved some of her commenter's answers as well.

#1. Coffee hands down. I. WOULD. DIE.
#2. Simple survival skills like I said and a resignation to survive.
#3. Tom Hanks. Thought about this one before and maybe he would remember some stuff learned while filming 'Castaway" anyway....
#4. Every time I've been on a plane. What would a therapist or a psychiatrist about this habit?

So answer if you like. This would be great dinner conversation. Who's up for dinner at my place this weekend? Lorraine? Anne, AM? SIMON?

8 Comments:

Blogger Simon said...

Dinner? Count me in...
In answer to your questions:
#1 I would go mad if I couldn't read. However, taking 'a library' isn't really practicle - so a PDA or laptop of somesort. I know, I know, it'd only last a few hours... so in that case, I'd say my guitar.
#2 Skills... I will generally muck in and do anything, so thats not really a skill but I wouldnt be one of those people who say "eewww, not me, thats horrid" etc.
#3 A toughie... for purely practical reasons, Ray Mears!
#4 I dont really look out the window on a plane and think that, as Im usually sat on the aisle!(ha) but I dont think about that anyway... what I do think about is how I would survive a zombie attachk wherever I am... where can I defend, how long to get to my family, what weapons near by. I know, I know, sad init?
Great questions greeny and thanks for the comments earlier...

1:24 AM  
Blogger Mom said...

Since the girls seem to be busy I'll be happy to come over for dinner. I'll bring my rum cake and the left over flavoring.
I'll join the dinner conversation.

1. I have to copy Simon and say I'd need to read. I'll bring several books that can be read over and over, plus one entitled,"Practical Advice For Surviving On a Tropical Island."
2. With my nurse training I could run the First Aid station. I also took camp training when I was a girl scout leader, so I know how to start a fire and cook whatever you find for us to eat.
3. Assuming my family is already there I would like someone like my friend John the trucker. He is a great story-teller and would entertain us around the campfire, and he is a big, strong guy who would do what I wanted his to do.
4 I don't worry about the plane going down. When It's my time to go I'll be happy to go. Until then I plan to make the best of wherever i happen to be.

3:24 PM  
Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

I'll bring margaritas. Sounds as if we need 'em.

1. Hhmm, although air conditioning and a soft mattress come to mind, as do towels and bed linens, I suppose I'd have to agree with music and books. And since I can only play the piano, more practically a book. I'm with Mom on the topics. (I could tell you a lot of things I wouldn't miss!)
2. I'd be happy to forage for food for Mom to cook, although I am a novice forager.
3. Wouldn't it be great if it were all of us? - I mean, for having to be in a wreck.
4. No, but thanks a lot.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Dinner? sure I'll be there. Dan'll keep us laughing and our kids can hang out.

I'd miss something to do, like reading, or sewing/knitting, or my ipod.
skills: girl scout camping stuff.
person: not sure
I like to look out plane windows and try to figure out where i am, wishing i had a map with me.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A zombie attack, now that is original,Simon! I think it stems from the same seed as the plane crash scenario though. Simple survival in an extreme situation.

8:38 AM  
Blogger MarkEC said...

Sorry I missed the dinner... drat I was looking forward to some of those Greeny creations.

Let's see..

1. I would say my Palm Treo.. but on a tropical island do I really need to check my e-mail? But we could order things we needed off the internet... I wonder if there would be service there? ;-)

2. I could provide the Gilligan for the group.. that way we will never be rescued! OK.. maybe I am a bit more professor-like? I know at the very least I could make horse galloping sounds with coconuts.

3. A Verizon/ATT cell phone engineer (see item 1)

4. Only occasionally, when flying over the ocean I would wonder about the survival in the life raft, and would we be stuck with someone like Gilbert Godfried for days at sea. Wonder what my therapist would say too!

11:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Mom. YOur answers were comforting and classic Mom. John would make a perfect companion for those deserted island weeks and months. Thanks for the rum cake, btw. I feel better.

Oh, AM, yes to margaritas too!
I do enjoy the comforts of home like beds, towels and sheets. Just think of all that sand, assuming we were on tropical islands, we would everywhere. Ack!
Hehe, what a time that would be with us on the island. It would be a developed island in no time since we would start such civilized activities like painting portraits and landscapes to hang in our island museum, taking "refreshments" in the afternoon "made in our island brewery", swimming lessons and la crosse games, a choir, farming, sewing and knitting classes by Anne and many self-improvement activities. Of course, there would be many hours of uninterrupted rest and relaxation, right?

Anne, I do that bit of trying to figure out where I am at any moment, too. On the way back from Vegas the last time I was snapping pics of the Grand Canyon and trying to figure our flight path exactly.

Markec, fingers crossed for service on our island. I would probably order some good sun-filtering clothing since I have fair skin.
If you were the Gilligan, you would most likely eat anything that was prepared as far as coconut cream pies and coconut based shellac, right? Good to know.
But the professor was a nice addition too. He was so level headed until Ginger set her sight on him.
I got the galloping hooves. You got two halves of a coconut and your bangin 'em together...
Good Lord, Gilbert Godfried! Ack! You are a pessimist indeed.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

AM, we would have sand everywhere is what I wanted to say. It's early, Ive only had one cuppa joe.

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home