Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Raise Your Hand


Do you have a stash of recipes you've cut out of magazines or printed off the net that sound really good, you"re gonna try them or you have tried them but never written them on a recipe card or filed them in your oh, so organized file system?

I do! Tons and they are all worthy of keeping. Well, I found some I was ready to toss and I did.

I have umpteen recipe books of all sizes and ages too- some I've collected from flea markets or yard sales that have the coolest graphics, some new ones that offer good recipes with four or fewer ingredients, the Chocolate recipe book, the club or church recipes books complied of the same recipes year after year but I can't resist, some I've been given in a certain vein of cooking (stir fry, French, white trash, etc.). (Good lord! my sentences are long tonight!) They happen to be full of those stashed paper recipes I spoke of first. And I have a one of those metal picnic baskets from the 60's FULL of my files and small books and loose paper recipes.
Well, tonight in an effort to organize so I can find the recipes I KNOW I HAVE SOMEWHERE! I spent 2 hours sorting, throwing away and filing in a very helpful fashion all the cut out and printed stuff and writing down the very important recipes I want in my actual recipe box on cards.
I made my mother's fudge during a break. You know, the grainy kind? I love that kind. Well, dang it, I couldn't find my candy thermometer (right behind the coffee maker, dolt) so I guessed at soft ball stage. Needless to say, I missed it. We are currently using spoons. It's still good! I guess we all needed a fudge fix in whatever form it came in.

My book of choice for coffee this morning was "Personal Finance in Your 40's and 50's". I chose that book over "Personal Finance for Dummies" since that makes me sound like a loser already and I like the age pin-pointed for me. I don't want to be mixed up with personal finances of a 20 year old, for god's sake! Talk about confusion.

Things are heating up a bit on the new business with Andrea. A tax # app, a class with a raised-bed grower this Saturday, and money withdrawn from a life insurance account. Does that sound serious?
I can't wait to construct the raised beds. Talk about a work-out! It so does a number on a person's arms and abs.
I have an order started from my favorite seed company. I am thinking the place to concentrate would be on fresh greens, mixed and single varieties, and maybe green onions and some early herbs.
We are looking into growing strawberries and cane fruits. No telling what else we might try our hand at. I just have to remember not to get carried away.

I used the word "recipe" 13 times including this one in this post.

6 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I am notorious for printing off recipes that sound good or that i plan to make. Do I? Ummm not usually...lol But hey, I have good intentions :) I also have a kazillion cook books! Some I have never cracked open, I just thought they looked cool! lol

I need to do a purge or something!

6:51 AM  
Blogger John said...

And for the first five times I read the word "recipe" my mind was reading the word "receipt". Why would she save other peoples "receipts" I thought.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It is the time of year for purging. Once I get to a job like this I have no problem getting rid of stuff. It's just laying it all out and starting.

Poor John. Are you prone to halucinational reading? Perhaps you need some sleep?

8:00 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Oh, do I know that situation. Once upon a time I too did a gigantic purge of same. Now I have a notebook with pockets for "entrees", "sides", etc...no more specific than that, and recipes to try go into it. And invariably when I'm looking for a new recipe to try I manage to toss out 3 or 4 more with a "what was I thinking?"

New business? I missed something...

9:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is what I was going for Lorraine but I have too many I kept. I managed to pare it down to file folders with such titles as drinks (why, I'll never know), meats, dips spreads snacks, salads, and DESSERTS!
You know, the farm business with my friend Andrea whose land we plan on constructin a greenhouse, raised beds of straberries and perhaps if we can managed it, a christmas tree farm. There could eventually more like four seasons of produce but we must start slowly. We both have to keep our day jobs.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

-constructing a greenhouse, raised beds of strawberries...
Blah on my typing

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home