Thursday, January 31, 2008

In My p.j.s For the Duration

If you had purchased $1000.00 of Nortel stock one year ago, it would now be worth $49.00.
With Enron, you would have $16.50 left of the original $1000.
With WorldCom, you would have less than $5.00 left.
If you had purchased $1000.00 of Delta Air Lines stock you would have $49.00 left.
If you had purchased United Airlines, you would have nothing left.
But, if you had purchased $1000.00 worth of beer one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling refund you would have $214.00.
Based on the above, the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle.
This is called the 401-Keg Plan. -

My sister sent that to me. I'm wondering if she was hinting...

We are out of school today due to the impending snow storm. This makes me uncomfortable since the snow is well to our south so I'm not positive we couldn't have gotten half a day in. Glad I stocked up on stuff last night anyway.

8 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

I wouldn't have done the beer thing, but $1000 of coca cola....

but on second thought, storing the cans would have been a pain

5:03 PM  
Blogger Dtodd said...

Not to be too much of a nerd about it but I don't think you'd even get $20 for recycling $1000 worth of beer cans.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't like beer that much either, Anne and my brand would have been in a bottle, not a can.

My sister commented later saying go the Pepsi angle.

And how does that qualify as nerdy exactly, Dant? I am in search of a can-weight-to-recycle-$-amount site. I'll let you know what I come up with.
I will say last summer J and I took four 30 gallon trash bags full of somewhat smashed aluminum cans to our local recycle place. We made $27. I have no idea what our cost of the beverages came to since some of them came from my recycling effort at the elementary.
Point being aluminum in the recycle biz is priced nicely.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

Good luck with the storm - I think there's something nice about snuggling down with good provisions to wait out a snowstorm. Obviously you hope there is no damage, and if that happens, what could be nicer wrapped up warm in your p.j's with good food and drink and a good book... bliss...

1:19 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Myself, I like to keep gold bullion under my matress. You have wine, right?

9:26 AM  
Blogger Dtodd said...

Its generally considered nerdy to be fascinated by silly statistics and then to feel the need to correct folks, "well actually the poll really says that we can say with 95% confidence that the actual percentage of Giuliani support is between x and y percent". I got curious and googled "price for recycled aluminum cans" and this page showed up: Truth! & Fiction!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Susan Lucente said...

Did you get your storm? Here in northwestern Ohio, we were supposed to get 5-9 inches overnight Thursday and 4 to 6 more during the day Friday. Woke up Friday morning to nothing but a little skiff of ice on the road... no snow at all. They cancelled school (probably expecting all that snow to hit during the day) and we never did get anything but a dusting that didn't even cover the grass. I think it's my fault though, I went out Thursday night and bought two new snow shovels and some groceries to prepare for being snowed in for a couple days... never fails... just like planning a picnic, leaving the windows open, getting the car washed or forgetting an umbrella always makes it rain. :( Of course, I'm sure if I'd have gone into labor, we'd have been snowed in for sure! ;)

3:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Brilliant!

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home