Monday, January 28, 2008

I stayed seriously busy Saturday and Sunday but in a good way. Much was accomplished.
I have my sights set on making some of my earthy, natural crafts to put up for sale on Etsy. My mom and sister were thinking of giving it a try along with me. So I cleaned in my garage work area and worked on some items. There is so much I have waiting to do.
I did a bunch of odd jobs like scrubbing garbage cans, smashing aluminum recycle cans (made J help), installed the motion light on the garage, oiled the opener, installed new batteries in the remote, made 3 different birthday cards, read and rested.

My brother's 20 year old daughter is expecting. She was sent off to college without birth control, just her moral upbringing which, according to my brother should have been enough deterrent. It was for him.
Alas, it wasn't and now she is required to move off campus since it is a Christian- based school and plan a wedding, keep her failing grades up, manage to find another job and get her boyfriend to get a job. I feel sorry for her. I see myself in her struggles.
Needless to say no one is in too good a mood in that family. (Sometime I'll note the problems in the past 10 years and one might be reminded of what Job went through as far a trials and tribulations. It will make you glad you have your life. I know I am).
We are working on getting the wedding together in our traditional pull-together, low- cost -but -as -classy- as- lost -can -get- manner. It will be fine, I'm sure.

11 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Has she already faced the really big question: is marrying this guy really the right thing to do?

might adoption be better, harder decision to make, but might it be better?

2:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

She's faced that question as much as she is going to, I'm afraid. We are big into managing our problems and not backing away from doing "the right thing". I just don't think this route was the right one. But time will tell. I don't think the guy is too worried about anything but hunting. That's his major- Wildlife management. But he isn't too gung-ho on finding a job to support them as they live with his father and step-mom.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Adoption is not going to happen either. My family for the most part is a non-adoption, non-abortion kinda family. She is pretty much going the only route she's been taught and the only route that will allow her to stay in the family. Argh.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Sandi said...

lawdy... sorry to hear about all the troubles. and the backing into the jeep.
You need a vacation! I would invite you here but hell who comes to minnesota in the winter??

7:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sandi, I was just running thru a summer 2007 issue of Midwest Living magazine and found many loverly thing to do up in your neck of the woods. And in winter, the snow, the scenery...have I got a romantisized notion of it all??
Thanks for the thought...

9:49 PM  
Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

It's too bad when others people's beliefs about how things "should be" suck all the joy out of a new life. I guess there are still a lot of people still trying to make Plan A work for everyone.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, AM.
I have been thinking about emailing you to chat. Ill get to it this weekend.
I don't think the joy of a baby in our family will be gone. The problems and the circumstances surrounding my niece's marriage and pregnancy will mar her relationship with at least her father and mother for a while. The rest of us will be there for her.
I hate the fact she has to pay such a harsh penalty of time and possibilities her life may have had. It looks bad for her. However, no one knows how things will turn out. Perhaps she will be fine.

10:48 AM  
Blogger John said...

I agree with AM. People planning for others. If my wife were on here she'd beg her for the baby. As I've said before though, She's a little insane. So many people have a negative view of adoption on the giving up side and a positive view for those who take the child in. Many times, the mother who allows her child to be adopted may be giving that child a chance at a life that she might not be able to provide. One poor decision does not a fool make. But if you sign up to be on the Jerry Springer show? That's another story.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

I just don't have any good advice here. It's hard enough to make a good decision for myself,making a big decision for someone else is beyond me. Your niece will have to do what all women have to do. Just put one foot in front of the other and do the best she can. All babies are a blessing meant to be loved.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Really, she is doing just that ,Mom. She has made up her mind with help from mom and dad. I know the baby will be loved. Niece will give up so much she could have had. Guess that really is what is so sad to me.

Ahhhhh!!! Jerry Springer! Running from the room....

2:49 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Ah, geez...I appreciate as much as anyone the idea of encouraging chastity but it never has been and never will be a birth control method. Lordy, "good Christian kids don't". Uh, yeah, they do sometimes and when they do they usually have less information about what they are doing than they should. Arghhhhh.

Climbing off my soap box now. Tea?

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home