Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tough Tuesday

Gonna say some bright happy things today instead of spewing anything hostile.

Doing some planning on our possible family trips for summer. A trip to the D. C. area is sorta in the works. I know I am certainly saving up for it because it is potentially the best vacation I could have with my kids. I'll be shoving the bums outta the way to get to the aluminum cans on the side of the road till summer.
The other trip is to Michigan over the 4th to my mom's brother's on the lake. It's been a couple of years since we went last. I will be taking my mom and kids. Perhaps my sister and brother and their families might go.

This morning I spent 5 full minutes sitting in the high school parking lot trying to extricate my daughter from the car. She was convinced she looked atrocious but you know how 15 year olds can be. I talked hard for that 5 minutes with all the ammo I had. Things like '"surely you aren't all about how you look" and " do you think all your friends are doing is talking about how crappy you look?" It would be easier if she really had looked bad but her "bad" is terrific. She just felt like she looked bad. Argh!

American Idol tryouts tonight. What a hoot. I much prefer this to the actual competition once it's started.

More later. Perhaps I should do a bit of work now.....

7 Comments:

Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

Tell her not to worry.
In a few decades she'll be old and it won't matter any more.

(I love being helpful.)

10:45 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

tell her the kids who peaked too early will be washing cars and running errands for the kids who got better looking later

11:59 AM  
Blogger Garden Wise Guy said...

Being the father of a 17-year old boy who ALWAYS looks like he just rolled out of bed to search for trash heaps for scrap metal, I can't relate, but I can empathize.

Hey - thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Looks like we have a number of similar interests, not the least of which is erotic horticulture. Also, your prior blog about crappy TV commercials usurping great music for hideous products - BIG time resonating for me. I'm a musician in another part of this life, playing in a retro-rock band that plays everything "from Elvis to Elvis". I often introduce tunes as "And here's the theme from the Ameritrade commercial" or some such thing. Seems like everything is a commodity that can be used to hook a certain demographic.

Later, skater.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

If you do get to come to DC we could have a reunion of all your virtual friends here. it would be interesting to see if any of is like the rest of us think we are. Did that make sense?
The only good thing about either being 15 or being the parent of a 15 year old is that both states are temporary. This to shall pass.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, iamnot, that would have surely done the trick...

Ha, Anne. That one just doesn't hold any water for her. I know it's true, You know it's true but at 15 nobody thinks that is true...

Hi wise guy. Thanks for coming by! And come back any time....

Yes, Mom, I'm counting on seeing virtually everyone from the D.C. area..
And I already got through her terrrible ones, twos, and threes so I figure this is the terrible 15s...I had a bit of a break, huh?

1:47 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Kids. Sheesh.

And for future reference, Seattle makes a really fine vacation destination...

11:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, Lorraine, I love that idea! I haven't made it that far west yet and I would love to see the area but more importantly I want to visit with the number one Seattle-ite! You have the visit idea down. I would be in great hands!

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home