Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Dab of This and That

I got up at 5 am, my usual time so I can make things happen! Today it was questionable whether or not we would go to school since we had a nice glazing of ice over all roadways. 5 minutes after I was up I got the call. No school. So I will make things happen at a more leisurely pace now.
So I'm spending a little quiet, slow-paced time catching up on my cyber experience.
I burned my tongue royally on my second cup of java because I was distracted with thoughts on how to spend the day. Wish I had gone ahead out to our locally winery yesterday to purchase a couple of their tasty new winter wine- a cross between Brenda's strawberry wine (my wine making buddy) and Madeira. Yum.
But, alas, I didn't trek out there. Now I'm with nothing but vodka and oj which I can only handle for so long.
Speaking of drinks, I have found a loverly recipe for Lemoncello. Heard of it? Those nutty Italians think of everything.
I saw a blurb about it on one of the cooking show a couple weeks back. I started looking at fruit liqueurs as well. Do you all know how easy it is to make these??? Pretty darned easy. (Berry Patch Farm has some recipes posted) And apparently they are quite tasty, running very closely behind the retail versions that cost quite a bit more $, assuming one prepares them carefully and can leave them alone until they are ready for consumption.
I need to purchase 12 lemons to make the Lemoncello and we are off. I thought if it turns out well, I have my homemade gift for at least my niece and nephew and their spouse's Christmas gifts.

Today I thought my daughter and I would make some bread and aside from that, start some sour dough starter. This is perfect weather for blowing up like a balloon with tons of starchy baked goods.

Ack, my dishwasher kept tripping one of my GFCI switches in the kitchen. Process of elimination shows it was the dishwasher. Or at it could be the switch. Now I have to pull it out and check all the dang stuff. Then I need to call my trusty electrician (who that is I don't know). Don't worry. I won't have too many screwdrivers and I'll remember to turn off the electricity to the kitchen.
My kids were on dishwashing detail last night. It's been a while since I've seen that look of dispair. Guess I need to desensitize them by requiring out- of -the- ordinary jobs like this more often. They are so spoiled. Sighhhh.

K, I will perhaps post again later.


Later (8:00ish): I would just like to go on record as saying if Tom Hanks is otherwise engaged, Daniel Day Lewis would be an even second choice for the deserted island pal. More brains, skill and modesty all rolled into a British Isles manly man. Whew!

A little later(10:00ish): I surely don't like the term "bloodbath" as in "Feds cut interest rates to stop bloodbath". I have stocks. I don't want a bloodbath....




Much, much later (5-ish): J made us pancakes.
I made two batches of jelly- grape and blueberry.
Went to the winery but they were closed so settled for some hometown offerings. Not what I had my taste set on.
I mixed a batch of boysenberry liquer too so I used all my vodka up.
I have some pizza dough rising too.
Jetpass, the recipe is in the mail...My pleasure and yes to the invite...I'll save up!

19 Comments:

Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

Be sure to use just the peel and none of the pith.
Don't want bitter.

I drank lemonchello while watching the sunset over the medetaranian sea once...

7:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Iamnot. I got that point from the recipe. Pith is a no-no.
I would truly give a major organ to go to the Mediterranean or Italy. You seem quite taken with it. Perhaps a trip is in order. I'll meet you at the fountain in that square, you know, in Rome?

7:39 AM  
Blogger Sandi said...

OHhhhhh can I go too???
your lemon drink sounds heavenly!

Enjoy your day off! :)

8:05 AM  
Blogger Simon said...

If it ain't too creepy, I think I'd like to be there spending the day with you drinking home made liquor and baking bread... better than sat here trying to debug Java code!!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sandi, this would a blogger's trip extraordinaire! All of us meet in whatever eastern sea-board airport, fly off to Italy and surrounding Mediterranean countries. Rent scooters or bicycles, dine in the countryside olive groves, pick a few fruits or whatever we need to finance more travel and continue on our journey. Capice? I've got it handled.
Simon, I am not too much of an entertainer in person but what the heck! Come on over.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

I LOVE lemonchello! I hate paying up the ass for it though. I'm going to try this and I'll let you know. I like to put it in Iced Tea in summer it's yummy!

LMAO@your comment to Simon.

We should all meet up, here in California I've got a guest room and friends with guest rooms...come on out!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

p.s. could you email or post a link to that recipe?

2:19 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

ya I am thinking that accent would stay interesting and sexy for a few years at least... I am not into Tom Hanks at all... Not sure who I would pick actually!

I have also had some of the most romantic memories in Europe... France in particular. There is something terribly sexy about Italy... idk what it is! I'll meet you guys there too. Just let me know!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cool, Jetpass and sure good to hear from ya!

I personally have never tried Lemoncello but it does sound rather to my liking. I love anything lemon or citrus.
I want to come out to California. Always wanted to do the San Francisco touristy thang. And the forests and beaches to the north, uh-huh.
I'm going to look for the recipe in a minute got to get back to the pizza while it's ripe for the saucing...

5:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, is my avatar showing up. It shows a little x where it should be.

5:14 PM  
Blogger MarkEC said...

You lost your avatar... the site that was providing it has gone away. Guess it is time for a change?

I have never been to California... been a lot of places, but never there. Sounds like a party is brewing. :-)

10:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.recipezaar.com/167289
Recipe Zaar. Lemoncello and FYI, it is the nutty Sicilians signature drink. I think that is close enough to Italy to be considered such. I know Iamnot is laughing at me. It's ok.
Let me know how yours turns out, Jetpass. We have to wait an awfully long time before we know...

6:01 AM  
Blogger Susan Lucente said...

So, my very Italian husband spent three weeks visiting the homeland... came back raving about the lemoncello (or limoncello, whichever). Then my lifelong friend took a trip to Italy...came back ravng about the lemoncello. Then my parents nextdoor neighbors went to Italy...came back raving about the lemoncello. EVERYONE I know that visits Italy comes back in love with lemoncello. "Yea, yea, yea, we saw Rome...saw Venice..Tuscany.. Pompeii, yea, saw all the old architecture, the ruins, the art.. Oh but the LEMONCELLO!!! Fantastic!!!" (between that and the gelato, I think the people I hang with remember the food of Italy better than anything else!) If you want to try another recipe for the lemoncello, here's a link to a blog I enjoy, about 3/4 of the way down the page he has a recipe for "Crema de Limoncello aka Best Hooch Ever" http://vanillagarlic.blogspot.com/2007_05_01_archive.html

(oh, and another thing my husband and everyone else I know who visits Italy comes back with... an utter distaste for what used to pass for Italian food in America.. no more Olive Garden for us :( lol)

6:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Kate. Glad you took a bit between packing and all to visit!
I don't really find Tom Hanks as attractive as I find him interesting enough to spend a great deal of time with. HOwever, totally in love with Daniel Day Lewis, I am.
And Kate, you would be perfect to call on to set up our Mediterranean visit. Let us know what we owe you, k? You have had lots of visits abroad and could show us the good stuff.
Hi, Markec. I managed to re-avatar myself. Not as interesting as Da Vinci. Moss-covered rocks. Soft and green but hard underneath. Hmm.
Yay! It's Butterfly! Good to see you. HOpe you are feeling well.
Italy would be mind-boggling and as Kate said, dead-sexy. The food, omg, the food and wine! I would have to bike everywhere because I would need the excercise.
And just like real Mexican or Asian cuisine here in the U.S., I would imagine Italian is hard for us to duplicate traditionally.
Thanks for the link to the recipe too.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Traditional Italian is hard to duplicate for the average man but not Iamnot.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Simon said...

Thank you for your concern greeny... the headache is better, but as you've no doubt read on my blog I might now have the novovirus or 'winter flu'! Not nice. Your blog has been keeping me company while Im sat here suffering.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Weeping Sore said...

Thanks for the recipe! I don't know if I would be as productive as you on a snow day. I'd have to choose between making lemonchello and making bread. I'm afraid it would be no contest: booze before bread.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Bring some when you come east this summer, we'll fake the Mediterranean part.

I just realized today I hadn't commented on this yet, thought I had before.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, Sore! Nice to see you here. And as many do, I have big plans at the start but I fritter away the hours of the day as distraction sets in.
And I put too many jobs on my list in the first place, thereby ensuring my frustration.
As for Tuesday, I had the ingredients for bread but not everything for the limoncello. so I went with the starch. mmmmm, staaarrchhh..

Anne, deal. The only way I'll be in the Mediterranean is by faking. I'll load the van with some cases. You get the olive groves growing..

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home