Saturday, November 03, 2007

I Vant To Be Alone

Ok, a weekend by myself starting with falling asleep on the couch Friday night after cleaning the house and packing away Halloween. Sad perhaps. I don't care.









This morning I spent 2 hours planning my craft projects for Christmas. The females in my family decided we would exchange crafted gifts between ourselves this year in an attempt to bring back some magic to our season. We all are very creative, if I say so myself, with abilities ranging from sewing, painting in watercolors and oils, crafting from natural materials, building and refinishing, mixed media use (hard to explain) and general craftiness.



My ideas for my mom, sister and s-i-l is a hand stitched snowman from my grandmother's creamy white mohair sweater she gave me. The style of the snowman will change from elegant for my mom to more homespun for my sis and s-i-l. I will make a pair of mittens on ribbon as a Christmas ornament style hanging for my niece and niece-in-law. If there is enough sweater, I will construct simple Christmas trees to display with the snowmen and I will keep it low-glitz so they can stay out even after Christmas.


I also had in mind a bent wood arch trellis out of thick grape vine but it may be too late since it's November and the bending part will be hard unless I soak them. I'll keep that as a possiblity.




I wanted to build my mom some bluebird houses since she would like to attract them to her yard in the country. She also found out she can feed meal worms to them so I hope to make a tray feeder for that. My friend Andrea has 150 acres of woods to find cedar trees to make the posts to mount them on. And the meal worms supply in a plastic box will need to be purchased at the PetCo. It should be relatively simple (she says naively). I want the kids to help with the birdhouses but I need to get the wood.


More later when I need a computer fix.
6:25 pm: My first snowman still in need of more stuffing. Oh. My. God! What an incredibly time-consuming project!
My first thought was to make a proto type to try out my idea but I couldn't find any material that would perform like sweater material. So I just winged it and made a template about the size I thought I'd need. It seems right except now, I need to figure out how to insert the twig arms after I have already sewn up the side seams!!!!!!! And the nose is giving me some problems as far as coming up with the right material to use. I guess some sculpy clay might work? Anyone have any ideas?

I plan on using the corded looking accents down the front of the sweater to make the neck scarf. I have to baste it after I cut it off and then figure out how to finish it off before I tie it on. Then I need to buy some nice black felt for making the hat. I think a top hat would be nice for my mom's but I might try a stocking cap style for the other two.

As I sat this afternoon working with the TV on, I heard far too many Christmas flavored commercials. I wanted to scream.
But now I'm going to take a break and watch "Zodiac" which I rented earlier and mix a cocktail.

6 Comments:

Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

That's a great gift idea. I haven't hand-crafted anything in a long time.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

I think that is a AWESOME idea! I'd encourge my sister and mother to do the same but the are artistic and craft disabled. I got all those genes (they're pissed about that too.) I would love to encourage my friends to do that, have to bring that up soon.

RYC: your right, I want time to SLOW down not speed up. See what happens when your son is behind you saying "Mom I need you to hurry up so I can get my costume on."

Happy sewing!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I usually wait too long to start and then work night and day till I get stuff finished. Makes me not a happy gift giver then.
AM I hope you are doing well. Glad to see you here.

Jetpass, thanks for the good words. I know you've talked about being artsy and crafty. Lucky you!!

And I was kidding about the time/speed thing, you know.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I think thats so cool. Generally I am pretty crafty and really enjoy making things, especially for Christmas, but the past couple of Christmases the want hasn't' been there. FOr some reason this year I feel the need to be creative!! You have given me that little extra inspiration and this afternoon I think I am going to get out my craft ideas and get busy!!

I can't wait to see the snow men you make from that sweater!!

7:53 AM  
Blogger nataS said...

Once, before I became the Prince of Darkness, I hand carved Christmas (Winter Holiday) gifts...well hand carved with a Dremel.

Now, there's so little time and that darned internet is just so dang handy.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

I am awed and humbled by your craftiness, delighted by your collective reason behind it.

The snowman is very cute. I am not crafty so have no suggestions. I just think they are going to be super cute.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home