Thursday, October 25, 2007


This morning early I was taking a walk with the full moon shining down wondrously at me. It fills me with peace and joy at the same time when I am alone and seeing things like this. Even if I am in a burg with dead cats and cars going by.

I have been seeing photos of wild places in woods and mountains that make me wish for days or weeks I could spend in the wild. I would be completely at home and the more alone the better. Some might not believe that but it's true.
NOt that I don't want to give those experiences to my children. I have been remiss in years past shunning that kind of trip since it's not so much their bag. Less E's than J- he would love going and not having to take a shower or do homework.
Perhaps in the days ahead we could spend more time outdoors on small trips.

But I need a BIG nature fix. Me, myself and I. That solitude is necessary for my function. No wonder I am not functioning well. It's been ages since I've had a nature walk.

I was reading a book about Jean Jacques Audubon, the esteemed wild bird artist. He followed his dream for more than 12 years to finish a book of prints of the wild birds of America. His family suffered, he suffered but they all worked on because his dream was so strong.

He took his dream out and examined it closely and frequently so his excitement and drive would be fed for this venture. It was never closed for his consideration. He never decided his family or he should perhaps let it go and find a nine-to-five (like that existed much in the 19th century). He knew- HE KNEW he wanted and needed to do this. And he was successful and ended his days living on a wonderful piece of land with his children and their families close by, world-renowned and at peace with himself.

There have been people lately who while seeing older years come, have wondered what might have been of their lives if they had followed other dreams or their big dream more closely. What might have happened if they had pushed more in another direction? More enjoyment or fulfillment? More headaches but more personal growth? I think these same things day in and day out. Weighing possibilities against realistic outcomes. I hate realistic but it is too much a part of me to disengage it.

After I read the Audubon book, I realize I didn't take my dream out often enough to make a difference. I lost the dream to making money, taking care of the realities of the world and living as I "should".

When I walked this morning, I was lost in amazment at the sight of that gigantic yellow-white moon. It gave me immense pleasure. Seeing it made me realize I should be spending more time doing things that get me into nature. It's the only thing that makes me feel so good. It is my dream.

11 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

Your dream needs frequent tending and feeding in order to tend to realities of life. Take time to walk in the moonlight and listen to the birds. Let their song fill your soul. You will be a better mom if you take a bit of time to rest and remember the dreams that make you you.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

I just read that the moon is the closest to the earth that it gets so it looks 14% larger to us now...

I hear what you are saying about alone time and personal growth. I think as parents we are always encouraging our childern and worried about their growth but often neglect outselves. I would hate to be alone in the wild... but I think it would be the best thing for me. I really need to figure out who I am again and I just dont know if I can do that while caring for a family, house, job, pets and friends! But... I dont see myself taking off to hang out in the woods alone somewhere either! lol Not sure how I would even broach that topic with my spouse! lol I think he already thinks I am a loose wire!

Hope that you can get some of what you need with the walks!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

I struggle with this problem of balance as well.
In the end though, I'm not willing to ask my family to sacrifice to support my dreams.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

Great post. I was talking about this with a friend recently - people have a dream or a way of life they wish to follow, but little by little 'life' intrudes and the dream slowly dies, to replaced by the dreaded question "what if?"
I guess the best advice is if you want to follow that dream then do it, because you only get one shot at life - but it is hard to do that when you have so many other things that need your attention. Those lucky people who manage to follow and fulfill their dreams are like birds that fly while we are stuck on the ground. (And its far too early in the morning here in the UK for that kind of poetic thought!)

1:18 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

The timing of this post is so perfect for me I can't even tell you. Thank you for sharing it, Greeny.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Simon said...

Thank you for the b'day wishes. It isn't too bad spending your birthday in bed, if you're with someone interesting! Unfortunately though, I've had to work all day...

11:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, Mom. I agree.

Kate, you were the one that got me to thinking about "what if". I can't neglect my family or friends- I don't want to. I need to follow what I can of my dreams within the perameters of my life now. And as I see it, I am not held down by my life, I am supported by it. Thanks for stopping by!

Iamnot, that balance is so hard to achieve, it's true.
At this age, it so easy to find ourselves realizing our lives might have been better spent.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

Greeny,
I absolutely know that my life could have been better spent...as long as I consider my own satisfaction as the core of my life.
In terms of what I am to others in my life, I hope it's not so easy a thing to know.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Iamnot, I ended up with the bell ringing and being overtaken with children which interupted my answer..sort of.
I would never trade what I have now or wish for something different. I only meant now that I can see the past and the future somewhat clearly, I wish I had followed some of what made me happiest. I just didn't because I didn't have the drive, other ideas were put into my head, I couldn't see the future, I had no visible leader to make me think for myself, fear, self-doubt, hormones, etc. Ack.
Now I wonder where I can take up some of the dearest dreams I have without ruining what I need to tend to. Children, family, work, friends.

Hi, Simon. Thanks for stopping in. You hit the nail on the head.

And can you do that sick in bed?

Really, Lorraine? Thanks for coming by...

9:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know that these thoughts are solely the realm of "older" folks. I am 31 and have friends in my 20s... all of us wonder and fear and think these same things.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Ien in the Kootenays said...

I have done pretty much what you have dreamed of. No regrets, but there has been a financial price.
As a wise friend of mine always reminds me: what has a front has a
back.

For every road taken, there is one
left behind, at least in this probability. Do what you can, and don't worry about the rest!

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home