Monday, September 17, 2007

Of School and Men

On my way home alone from my mom's yesterday, I had 3 wonderful hours to ponder my situation and the future.
I didn't really have any great revelations but I am excited and energized about the coming months.
I am in dire need of a job change. No, strike that...a paycheck change. I love my job and it has been a wonderful job to have, allowing me to be with my kids on a pretty close basis for the last eight years but it isn't my calling. And time and the lack of money coming up soon (3years) will drive me to find a better paying job or to the welfare line (NOT).

I need a degree for everything I want to get into. Or at least someone willing to give me a shot to prove I can do a lot without a degree.

Renovations on historic buildings and/or houses, old or new is a love of mine. I love working with my hands and can do the work of a lot of men but I have no formal training with tools or any architectural schooling. Oh, why didn't I make a left instead of a right at the end of the hall and wind up in the architect classes instead of the ag classes?

Gardening and landscaping -again- at the very least a 2 year set of courses with which to break into the scene and there is a glut of companies in this area. One would have to know someone to make on the best team and even then it would be a glorified lawnmower operator. I want something with which I could help beautify and maintain grounds that were appreciated and maybe even historical.
Along those same lines ,the thought that a career in urban forestry would have been a good spot for me. Same idea. A 4-year degree from a reputable university such as University of Missouri-Columbia. They are seeking students to fill classes because there has been a drop in interested people.


I may very well have to get some classes but I can't see trying to go 4 years, making my children pay a big price for my absence a large part of the time and be less than chipper the balance of the time I am with them.
It's not like I don't have things on my plate right now. I do have the Christmas tree farm plans with Andrea and with that a business plan for expanding as years pass.
In additon, the apple orchard here in town is refitting to add a restaurant and hall for special occasions. These people are not the run of the mill types. I tend to think they have a bit of class so there might be opportunities there I need to scope out.

I am putting my head down and doing some investigating into all of these areas. I want a chance to see where I can go with what I have. It's time to step out of my comfort zone.


Of the men...nah, I won't go there...

Later...

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan Lucente said...

Congratulations on your excitement over the future. Sorta weird maybe to congratulate someone on that, but when you're like me, 39 years old and still having no idea what you want to be when you "grow up", it is worthy of congratulating people who DO have a goal and a plan.

Best of luck getting what you really truly have your heart set on! :-)

3:04 PM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

I'd give you sage advice, but my record on balancing my needs with my family's needs is not all that good.
Can't help you with the men either.
:-)

4:52 PM  
Blogger Sandi said...

Oh exciting! I am loving my classes and am kind of focusing in on the art..that is where my real love lies..I wish you the best on finding your future!

Men? ack...I can't go there either:(

7:40 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

what I like is that you are exploring many options and not just looking at what will make you money, but what will make you happy too! Thats great!

The man bit... well, I bet as you progress in your new endeavors you will meet many a man! (oh and you can always do some landscape design work on the side, get some word of mouth business... I did that (by accident really I was just helping some friends then people wanted to actually PAY me to do it! lol) It was a great introduction to many other things for me at the time. now I just stick with the marketing.

3:32 PM  
Blogger MarkEC said...

You can always go into the apple pie, jalapeno jelly mail order business. I think the Christmas trees may be too hard to ship? Wish you the best in whatever endeavors your undertake! :-)

7:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Butterfly, did I imply I had a plan?! I wish I had more of a plan than I do. I gues I have momentum and that's better than nothing.
And you hit the nail on the head. I haven't figured out till now what I want to be. The grown up part i am afraid will continue to be put off.
Thanks for the good words.
Iamnot, you sell yourself short. Balance may not be your strong point but you are a heck of a father.
I really don't need advice on guys. I plan on avoiding them for awhile.

Sandi, thanks and I hope your future is sparkly!

I like how you put that Kate, because exploring options is exactly how I would term it.
And the man thing I will leave to fate after I purposely avoid them for awhile.

Heehee, Markec!

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home