Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Monday's Domestic Chores


While I played hooky from school, letting my digestive tract find it's way back to normalcy, I managed to chop all the peppers and make my hot pepper jelly. It turned out the perfect consistency. I haven't tasted it yet. I usually spread some of this over a brick of good cream cheese and have some Mission tortilla chips to scoop it up with. Or it's good on a burger or brat.
My recipe calls for some jalapenos and some sweet green and red peppers. I had some red hot cherry peppers so they got thrown in plus more than the recommended amount of jalapenos. I think I'm asking for it!
I also grew pepperocini peppers and a long, green hot pepper called Georgia Flame. I separated them out but used the same brine to pickle them both. Ai yi yi!
We are hooked on the pepperocinis in our salads so maybe the Georgia Flame will be equally good.
Since I sharpened my knife so much before the chop session, I apparently sliced several hole in my gloves and my hands were on fire for hours afterwards. I even soaked my hands in milk (isn't that suppose to work?) but they went on sizzling. Washing dishes in hot water was no picnic, let me tell you.!!!!
I have plenty of jalapenos to make a few jars of bread and butter jalapenos. Just got to find my welding gloves.

I've been watching Ken Burns "The War" on PBS. I really like it and J has been transfixed. He keeps asking "is that real footage?". I didn't understand Japan's part in the war or the North African connection until now. Sure beats the --- out of my history classes in H.S. and college.
I don't think I am as spellbound as I was with The Civil War. I would like to watch that with my kids someday.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

Looks yummy! Could you send some to us in Maryland?

6:38 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I have never heard of pepper jelly!! I'm not into really spicy things, but spread over a brick of cream cheese with chips sure sounds good! Yum!! I think my family would love it though. They are into all things hot and spicy!!

What a feeling to have that brning sensation on your hands.....owie!!! I hope they ar all better now!!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Sandi said...

oh such pretty jars full of good stuff! :)

10:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I bet it would ship alright, Mom.
I think Otis was hoping for some pepper jelly too.

Hi, Chelle. It's really good stuff! I have progressed to middle ground with hot stuff. I like the burn but the food has to have lots of flavor to go with it.
There is a Korean? hot chili sause I put on pizza called Sriracha hot chili sauce. Yum. My daughter will look for foods to put it on. She is hooked.

Hi, Sandi! I love to can stuff. Makes me happy when I look up in the cupboard and see jars and jars of goodies.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

I would give just about anything for some of that pepper jelly. My mom makes it sometimes...damn that's good eating.

We've been watching The War, too...amazing. I keep getting hung up on the loss of life...and that was a "good" war...

12:16 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

looks great! What do you use your pepper jelly for? I have only had it on cream cheese as a dip.

Have a great weekend!

6:05 AM  
Blogger John said...

I love pepperoncini even if it is too long of a word.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Lorraine. So you've had it homemade. I haven't ever bought any and I'm wondering for the time spent slicing and dicing if I couldn't just buy some. I don't know if it would be as good,
I am amazed byt the death as well and of course, the footage showing men actually shooting other men was what caught Jack's eye. It was on last night and same story.
Ah, Kate, you say "only as a dip on cream cheese" like it was a ordinary thing! Erin and I are so in love with it we make a meal of that and chips! I have used it on burgers and brats too but it could be stirred into refiried or black beans, in Mexican 7-layer dip, on cheese-filled potao skins, on fajitas or quesedillas. MMmm
Yes, John, it seems rather long to type and to say.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Oh man! I did that about 20 years ago, cut up tons of peppers and put them up. My hands burned for-ev-er. I even called my mom crying, I didn't know how to make them feel better. I tried to sleep with them in bowls of ice water. When I started to read your post, I was hoping you'd used gloves. Hope they feel better soon!

Maybe I should have watched War. I hate history, maybe it would make more sense if I watched TV.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home