Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Variation of a Theme



My favorite flower bed. It has the best stuff from cone flowers and beebalm to castor beans, sunflowers, white pine and a red bud tree. I also use it for a hospital for ailing shrubs since it has the best soil in all my yard. This bed actually started out as the grass wads from my garden, piled high until turning into perfect soil. Surprise! And it's position in relation to the nosy, mean neighbor and my patio couldn't be more perfect. I also planted some ornamental gourds next to the fence.

A third of my "Bull's Blood" beet crop. I have pickling them in mind. It is so true that if you get greedy and leave too many plants in the row when you thin, you won't be rewarded with more but less. I pulled a third and will pull the rest at the end of the week to see if they grew a bit more with the room provided



I picked my "knuckle" squash (E's name for them) and summer crooked neck last night. There must be a million of the little buggers gonna come off in the next few days! I grill both the knuckle and summer squash with a bit of olive oil and garlic parsley salt. Delectable. I need to find a recipe to can it. Maybe a spicy squash pickle?
My Lemon Boy and Beefsteak tomatoes are ready for salsa and a tomato salad.


6 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Can you fed-ex a box of yummies out to us Maryland (pronounced "Merlin") gals?

12:35 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

sounds like good eatin' to me

5:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Heck, YEAH Anne!
Looks like I'll need an address tho since I have no idea where I wrote yours down from the book arrival.
Anne, say chowder for me.
Mom, if you all have veggie stands you peruse then I am confident you would enjoy these.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Chowder? Like chowderhead?

Chowder is chowder round here, but Baltimore is Balmer.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

wow looks great! I wish I had a garden this year!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anne, chowdah is what I was looking for.
Getting those veggies packed up!

Thanks Kate. You were working in your yard a while back. Let me see some of those pics. I can't imagine having flora in my yard like that in Florida. I love it!

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home