Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Things I'm thinking about-

The kids and I are going to Chicago the last week of the month with a school class. Last time we went on a trip with this group, I got there an hour early to board the travel bus and we got the next to last seats on the bus. That's right, smack dab in the wafting fumes of the bathroom. And to top it off, a youngster puked right next to my seat before we even took off. Lovely. And we were always chastised verbally by the tour guide for not getting off the bus in a timely manner once we were in D.C. Uh, excuse me. There were 50 people that had to get off in front of us. We can't very well climb over the seats!
I plan on camping out in the parking lot this year and I will not be moved! We will get front seats if I have to wield a weapon!!!!

My father is once again in his nursing home. Right before my mom left for Michigan, the nursing home sent him once again to a hospital geriatric psych ward to evaluate and change meds, a different place than the last time. Ugh. The home doesn't tell anyone before they do it and I am damn hot about it. However, this place did a wonderful job of finding meds to work and he now resting much more peacefully as well as eating and interacting. He looked good when I saw him and I made him laugh talking to him about Hee Haw from the old days.

J and I bought paint to use in his bedroom this week. I didn't consult him when we moved in what color he would like his bedroom so I painted it a very buttery yellow. Mistake but he didn't really complain too loudly so when he mentioned he'd like to paint, I was okay with it.
This kid is completely into Asian stuff so we bought a gorgeous deep red (shhhh, don't tell anyone it's called Ruby Slippers), a taupe and a black for accents. I managed to not swallow my tongue when he said he wanted red walls. I managed to convince him one big red wall would suffice for effect and taupe on the other 3. Black desk, book case and headboard. He plans on doing some Japanese lettering around his door frame. The one good from this style is "less is more" so he has to pare down. We start today.
E is ready to add an alternate color over her lilac walls with a glaze additive. She wants to make her room more dramatic with a darker color so we found a color called "orchid" which is a deep clear blue periwinkle. We will probably work on that after Chicago. I don't think I can live the next 2 weeks with bedroom furniture in the hallway and living room.

My best friend, Andrea and I have been discussing serious plans for some time now for a Christmas tree farm. We also want to grow pumpkins. She and her husband own 150 acres they currently rent out to a farmer with cattle. She wants to work this into a business for retirement. This is a bit freaky since back in the 80's, I investigated growing Christmas trees and having a sales farm. When the first lovely Mr. Greeny and I were married, we lived on acreage I planned to do that with. Too bad I was more interested in a divorce. I might have been already growing 'em now.
We also have talked about a camp or "school" (term is loose) for kids that has art and music appreciation, old fashion arts and crafts (candles, soap, wreath making, refinishing and reupholstering furniture, gardening, writing, you get the picture.The elementary art teacher is a good friend as well and she is on board with this. It would be a large undertaking and it's only in the discussion stage right now.
We are in the process of trying to locate a camp near St. Louis that is similar to our concept so we can visit. There is also an academy of fine arts near Eureka Springs, Ark. that has whole semesters offered to kids. We need to visit there as well.
This idea sprang up a few years back when my daughter and I were thinking up ways to make money during the summer while we were out of school. I mentioned it would be cool to offer a day camp to 5th and 6th graders that included a cooking day, maybe music and book discussions, writing, sketching, vintage movies, gardening or houseplant demos, refinishing or upholstering furniture, things kids don't have adults leading them to try. Anyway, it never came to fruition. But I think the idea has a lot of merit so it may come about eventually.

I read John Grisham"s " A Painted House". What a good book. Many of the places he refers to are right down the road from where I grew up.
One thing is for sure. I can't check any more books out since I can't do a damn thing until the book is finished.

Next week the kids are with their dad. I have a 4-day class to hammer out ideas for the outdoor classroom usage. It's offered by the Mo. Dept. of Conservation and we get paid!!! I wonder if anyone will notice I AM NOT A TEACHER! I asked my building principal ( close friend) if I really should be taking one of the 4 places offered our school and he insisted I go. Oky doky. I will be representing Title I, yeah, that's it.

I just found out I have a hair cut appointment in less than 15 minutes. I am a mess.
Toodles...

6 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

You'll need to prime those walls with black first before putting on the red, otherwise, you'll be putting on 4 or 5 coats to get it to look good.

good luck!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

I get tired just reading about all you are doing. You are one busy lady.
Glad to hear things are better with your dad.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm, I figured I'd need 2 coats of red, for sure but priming with black first? Zoiks! I'm going to study up.
I'd like to scrape the ceiling of the awful popcorn texture but man, what a mess. Sure would be a good time, tho.
Thanks for the luck, Anne. I may need it since J is helping paint.

Oh, Mom, all that discusiion was done in an armchair with a glass or two of wine so really I only appear to be a busy gal.
Thanks for the good words.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

I have a red kitchen. What Anne said about the priming. Not that big a deal, though, and the color looks great almost immediately.

Kinda laughing about all that, though, because The Child wants to redo her room this summer. Which I'm totally on board for. Except I told her I wasn't going to bother until she demonstrated that she could keep the room -as it is- in a tidyish condition. It could be months before I have to paint, LOL.

Glad your dad is doing better.

Have a fab time in Chicago. I LOVED it. Of course, I wasn't travelling with a busfull of kids but still. Toddlin' town, indeed.

And the farm/school/whatever thing sounds wonderful. Good luck with that.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J's room sounds neat. Good idea to talk him into the one red wall.

I hate, hate, hate bus trips. I end up with my stomach in my throat. I hope you get a better spot this time.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lorraine, glad you had a fab time in Chicago. My head was swirling from all you managed to do. What a wonderful thing to meet your buddy bloggers!
I thought there was major headway with the daughter keeping things up? Good leverage for getting it done if she wants a updated room.
I went on with just painting with no primer and it looks like just 2 coats will be needed. Thank god!!! Thanks for stopping by!

Lisa p, thanks for coming round.
I am excited about taking the kids on the trip even on a bus. Hey, I don't have to navigate or drive. Tha't a good thing!

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home