Friday, July 13, 2007


J working on his room.
I have taught him to remove baseboards, outlet plates, sand down putty filled holes, "cut in" paint in the corners, and roll on the paint, even the ceiling. He moved his bed and much of his other crap out of the room, too. And together we have talked and listened to music while we worked. We have a pretty good time doing any sort of thing like this. It makes me happy. And he is thrilled with the re-do.

We have everything done but the last coat rolled on. I think I'll sand his baseboards down while they are off and re-apply some since whoever put the varnish on was blind or drunk. Big spots missing any varnish.
Next week I will primer and paint his headboard, bookcase and desk "BlackJack" black. (He was all over that name)
My son forwarded this important info to me:

Tick Removal (tis the season)Please forward to anyone with children . or hunters, everyone!! Thanks!A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And it really works!!I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick.This is great, because it works in those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and let it stay on the repulsive insect for a few seconds (15-20), after which the tick will come out on it's own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"

Please pass on: everyone needs this helpful hint.

Three times this week I had conversations about the idea that a person is one with their mother but they learn how to have relationships from their father. It's not 100% but many times it appears it is true. This morning while my brother and his wife were visiting, we launched into it with regard to our dad. Seems very true in our lives when we did the comparison. Guess I should elaborate but it's too deep for my word and thought usage quota right now.

My friend Andrea is hosting a women's night at her house tonight. It is a mix of spiritual and religious fellowship with a shot of Mary Kay sales. Only Methodist would add the make-up sales! Anyway, I am going to attend.
Andrea is a very spiritual person. I am surprised at times when she relates something to me that has taken place and then says "It's a God thing" as in God is behind it. I know many people live with that assurance and belief and I understand and appreciate that fact. Many of my closest friends are very religious as well as a good portion of my family. I do respect that.
I just feel very distant from any of it. I have very little spirituality. I don't feel I have purposefully closed myself off from it. It just doesn't resonate within me. What is spirituality anyway?
The good thing is Andrea is also a thinker and open to people being very different from the mainstream religious folks. She is very accepting and understanding. I am very drawn to that aspect of her. And tonight she plans on bringing us together in discussion of people and relationships with each other and God, as women who need and want to understand oursleves and those we love.
Some times I have to ask if I am really open to people and love and close relationships. I feel true closeness to my mother and 3 friends I have know every possible thing save one about me. I reveal true feelings, feel tenderness and wonder at their friendship, care deeply for their happiness and give as well as receive from their presence in my life. I am purposeful and thoughtful in maintaining my relationship with them.
My children are a success in that way as well. I am doing everything in my power to develop our relationship to it's fullest potential(remind me I said that the next time I am doubting myself).
Then there is Wildman. I am successful there in the same way, I believe, but I don't need him in my life.

Ok, I'm done. Just things swirling around in my head.

Hope you all have a great weekend that come without a price.

9 Comments:

Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

In 20 years, that painting session with your son will be an important memory with him.
Good job.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Lord! It never occured to me to remove the base boards. We are forever cursing over the paint we get on them and then the paint we get on the wall when we try to fix the base boards. LOL. I guess you learn something new every day.

Love the tick tip. Thanks! I hope I don't need it though.

I agree. You are giving your son a great memory!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Sandi said...

Totally cool sounding room. Gawd how I loathe painting.. so glad some people like it :)
I am not too bad at wallpapering though...not that anyone does THAT anymore.

also.. a thanks to you for all your supportive comments to me this week and always. I appreciate them very much.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Sandi said...

Oh and also.. I would like Lisa p to say "tick tip" 10 times really fast. heh.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Mom said...

J is learning important "how tos" from a good mom. The memory will be even better than his cool room
Faith and spirituality are very personal things. I don't understand where faith comes from and why some believe and some do not. I do know that God is love, and love is accepting and supportive of people no matter where they are on their spiritual journey. Hope you had a good evening. It sounds like you have some wonderful friends.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Can't wait to see the finished job.

And I've always thought there is a pretty big difference (potentially anyway) between spirituality and faith. I know some pretty amazingly spiritual people who wouldn't even dream of subscribing to any particular doctrine or creed.

I like it when you share the thoughts that bop around in your head. Always interesting.

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great when we can teach our kids to do stuff on their own. Not just to "show them the way", but it's a tangible job well done when it comes to kids! Cool. Thanks for the tick tip!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

I love the colors of the room!

Wondering if that is true about Moms and Dads... Perhaps. I am (unfortunately) much like my Dad in relaionships...

I think I am outta the loop, but what did go down with Wildman? If I missed a post tell me which one and I will have a look!!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hate the fine details of painting but am willing to go thru it for the result.
Wallpapering- now there's something I would probably develop some new four letter words over.
Nothing yet has happened with Wildman. Just sort of taking more room with his understanding of my need for it. I still can't decide what I want to do.

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home