Friday, June 15, 2007

I was scrubbing my filthy car just a while ago. I always wash my own car. Prefer it to taking thru a car wash. I enjoy doing it myself, even in cold weather( I imagine I was strange looking bundled up in sweats and a stocking hat to passers-by).
I was reminded of a fund raising car wash I worked at as a senior. Money for Daytona Beach senior trip, I think. We had 3 wash stations at the school. I was working with a couple other people at one. Let me just say no one had ever taught these people how to was a car. I was my usual self, pointing out this part or that part that was not done correctly-in other words, not CLEAN. One person got fed up and left but the other guy just continued with his job. I was working hard myself, too, trying to earn a good donation for the job. A short story long- he signed my year book with a reference to the car wash and my "intensity", pointing out I had it made as a car wash attendant if I ever wanted to pursue it.
My brother showed me how to wash a car, his '69 Galaxy 500 primarily. When he was in high school and after he graduated, I always washed his car before a date on the weekend. He'd pay me $2.50 for it. I detailed it inside as well. He was pretty much always satisfied with the job I did.
I began washing my parents car then and detailing it inside. Then I moved away. I inherited my brother's Galaxy. It couldn't bear anyone else touching it in such a personal way.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

I think The Child's class will be doing some car washes next year for their 8th grade trip. Will you come give them lessons?

2:34 PM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

Wow. I washed my car a few weeks ago.
I think that was the 4th or 5th time...or once every two years.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lorraine, only if I have complete and total quality control. Do you think 8th graders will be interested? heehee

Iamnot, you don't have a lot of bug juice, dust, dirt, and road grime out there, do you? We here have large quantities of those and on a white car, ick. Besides, many of the low lifes in town have my style and even color of car. Keeping my car clean and shiney is a way of setting myself apart from them. Well.. that and my sparkling personality and spotless reputation.

1:00 PM  
Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

"workin' at the car wash, girl"

8:39 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Complete control? You betcha. I'll buy you the cattle prod and cat-o-nine-tails.

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, my sister worked at a carwash when we were teenagers. We always got our cars buffed for free.

Thanks for your post. Sorry I haven't been around or writing. I need to get it in gear again. I'm just about 5 months preggo and the sickies are finally easing off a bit. I was getting sick 5-8 times a day. Now it's just once in the morning and once at night. I've missed writing and checking in on blogs.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

69 Ford Galaxy? That's my dream car! LOL

6:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

AM, you are very talented! Thanks for stopping by..
Lorraine, I never thought of weapons.
Lisa p, a car wash job would be fantastic for a teenager's job. Good times, good times. Good to hear from you too. I was worried. Hope you can feel better soon.
SM, I still want a galaxy and look
for them on the road. Maybe when I make a few hundred thou, I'll spring for one. Wouldn't mind having a rag top. Thanks for stopping by!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Helene said...

lol I havent washed a car in years... thats sad! I too did the fundraisers in high school. It was always a lot of fun. Just really fast and cheap to take it through carwash at the gas station!

Happy Friday

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home