Tuesday, May 08, 2007

One of the biggest challenges I feel I face as a parent is figuring out when to push for what I think is good for my kids and when to allow room for my kids to decide for themselves.


Another big one is being ready for their answer to my questions I don't really like without making my kids feel they should have told me what I wanted to hear instead. In other words, accepting who they are and what they like without judgement.

Last night after his pops concert he had just performed in, I asked my son how much he enjoyed having performed. He shrugged his shoulders and said he wished he could have been home playing with friends. I was very disappointed in his answer, having loved every minute of performing in my band days, even 5th grade. After he walked away, I settled down to realize he just isn't me and I shouldn't be expecting all the "right" answers. And this was fairly inconsecquential. What about the really big incidents in his life? I have to be ready for the big stuff.

There is nothing unusual about these challenges. But they both have me thinking and worrying fairly constantly.

I sure would like to have more instinct to work with on the first one. Being able to make a quick call would be a monumental thing in my life! I spend an awful long time mulling things over sometimes and I wouldn't say it gets me great results either. To make J participate more in things he tends to shy away from, to force my daughter to call for her own hair appointment and to order her own food at a restaurant and more weighty things too. I think back on my own life and wish my parents had pushed me a bit more with constructive help and a direction and dialogue. But then would I have been more than what I am now or just resentful they pushed me?

The second challenge is more of an adjustment really. I like to think my kids take after me and enjoy things like I did at their age or do now. But many time I am slapped in the face with the reality that they are their own persons. It's actually a wonderful feeling after the burn had dissipated. I can enjoy the thought they are certainly unique people. I don't want "Mini Me's".

One of my best friends has a daughter a few years out of high school. This daughter revealed through many troubling episodes she was gay which is not really a shock to me. I sort of saw it from her. But it absolutely killed my friend. This was her only daughter. The kind of daughter who is a best friend and shopping buddy, a girly-girl daughter, sharing dreams of a marriage and family. Trouble was, my friend ended up with really broken dreams because they were her dreams, not her daughter's. She is only now recovering enough to share good time with her. They care deeply for each other and it's a tight knit family. She can treat the daughter with loving kindness. But she feels she will never get over it from a mom's standpoint.

I don't want to invest time dreaming of what my kids will accomplish and what directions they'll take because if I route things out for them in my mind, I would undoubtedly change their ideas for their own futures. I try really hard, hopefully succeeding, to encourage them to follow their ideas. I tell them I am their biggest fan and want what they want as long as it isn't going to maim or kill them.

But sometimes it's too much mystery for me to handle. I don't tell them what I'm thinking. What are they going to do with their lives? What are they going to do wrong and right? What have I done right or wrong for them and to them? How much will they have to shell out for psychoanalysis? I have to prepare and plan for all that.


I don't call them my little science projects for nothing.

9 Comments:

Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

Hey, I just dream of the day when S can get dressed and brush his teeth without being prodded 5 times in the process.
What do I want him to be when he grows up? How about functional?
I do understand what you are saying though. I think of K as being me, but perfect. I want to mold his thinking in a healthy way, but I certainly don't want him to end up just like me.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

I so get you sister! Don't we all want to foster the good in ourselves to have it mirrored in our children? I want so much more for my son, yet I want him to be independent, but at the same time for him to need mom.

I teach my son to be independent but there are times when he shows me just how independent he is and I start to get clingy and want to hold him back just a little longer because I'M not ready to let go.

P.S. I always tell H my son to address all the therapy bills to, "mom."

p.p.s. Thanks for the kind words and prayers!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

My mother-in-law hates to make phone calls and made her kids do it. My husband now hates to make calls and I get to do it. Well, I hate calling too. But I can. Gentle pushing in the lifeskills department isn't bad. If kids never order a meal on their own, how will they manage when they are on their own?

When it comes to my son, I'm in Iamnot's camp, functional would be nice. I dream of him having and holding a job, and maybe living in a group home. I know he'll never drive. I really want him to be happy.

My daughter, on the other hand, has her own dreams, and career goals. Right now I just want her to finish what she starts, and clean up after herself.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

lol lottle science projects! lol I agree that there is such a fine line there. I struggle with that and sports for my kids. I require one activity a semester (only one of my kids takes gym in school the others have band as teh elective) I often worry that I am pushing them too much in that vein... but its what I THINK I should do!

5:44 PM  
Blogger Sandi said...

you are a good mom. :)

7:19 AM  
Blogger Otis said...

If my parents had pushed me I would have appreciated more later in life. At times, I have mixed feelings about not being pushed.

After all, it is they with the experience...but it's all moot since I never listened...my own music was playing.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Otis said...

Happy Mother's Day!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

That pretty much sums up the mom cunundrum, Greeny! And happy mother's day! You rock.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The older I get and the older my kids get, I come to the realization that Nature has given them the track they will run on throughout their lives. My job as a parent is to make sure they don't derail. Happy belated Mother's Day!

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home