Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Mother's Little Helpers

Back during spring break I was threatening to force my children to cook supper one night a week. I am happy to report I followed through with that threat. Sunday I required them to submit their menu for my approval, the meal must have one healthy item at minimum and they are preparing and cleaning up with reasonably minimal help from me.
I couldn't believe it but they both were overjoyed with the prospect. WHAT THE HECK?
My son who hasn't prepared his dinner yet, submitted mac and cheese from a box (the heathen), hot dogs boiled, carrot sticks and bbq sauce for the carrots(blech! whatever..I'm not tryin 'em!). I still ok'ed the menu. I believe he is delighted. He is wearing his "CHEF IN TRAINING" apron I made him for Christmas, he told me. I don't buy the "chef " part with that cuisine.
My daughter decided to give paninis a try. Smoked ham and turkey, spring salad mix, mustard, grilled Porto Bella mushrooms, cheddar and pepper jack cheese on good french rolls. She used the electric skillet to cook them in but squished them with my cast iron skillet which was perfecto! She also fixed herself a salad mix with some feta, some of the grilled mushroom and pepperocinis on it.
I was in heaven. And they jumped up and cleaned up, laughing, thanking each other for the help or giving compliments. WOW!

And I'm asking myself why I didn't try this sooner.

7 Comments:

Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

Either someone has snuck in and replaced your children with Stepford'esque robots, or this is wildly improbable parenting aberration.
I wouldn't get my hopes up re: the first explanation.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

When you're done with these wonderful robots, please send them my way!

I'd love to get my kids involved more, maybe when they grow up a bit more....

3:11 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

I love to eat almost anything my kids or grandkids cook. I always brag excessively, no matter how it taste. I figure they will have to learn to feed themselves and they can use all the encouragement you can give. Well done!

8:59 PM  
Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

When I come out to visit ;-) we'll let E cook and I'll bring the drinks.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Susan Lucente said...

You have inspired me. I think it's time to get my kids to do the same thing. (Especially since my 12 year old is going through a phase where he doesn't really like anything I ever cook anymore...or maybe he never did, but now that he's twelve, he's bold enough to admit it...ha).

6:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am certainly not taking any credit for how well it turned out. The planets aligned or something...
This was just the first try though. No telling what will happen next week.
I think I'll keep 'em, Anne. Sorry. Did I mention they mowed my lawn, too?
Mom, you are a smart woman. I've said many times now and I'm sticking to it.
AM, you have a perfectly wonderful idea!
Butterfly, I got this idea from Lorraine @ dothedishesfirst. Apparently it's not so original. And her daughter still likes her for it.
Thanks all for stopping by.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

That is so great. I'm a firm believer in getting the loin fruit into the kitchen, the sooner the better. The Child was actually upset with me when she realized I'd put together this week's menu without having her do one meal (which is what usually happens). I told her she could have 2 next week plus make the lemon tart for Easter if she wanted. Know what she said, "Awesome".

And every once in a while, you gotta have mac and cheese from a box. Just saying.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home