Friday, April 06, 2007

Keep Your Friends Close and Your Easter Basket Closer

My family of course has some traditions we hate to let go of. Easter Sunday and our dinner is one.
From the time I was little, Easter has been a wonderful holiday. We children still always had an Easter outfit to go to church in, my sister and I in duplicate dresses sewn by my mom, my brother in a shirt, tie and slacks. I remember the church services filled me with wonder. And of course, the promise of an egg hunt was a draw.
My mom would construct crosses out of Milky Way candy bars and decorate them with frosting piped on, one for each of us kids (Walmart now sports those on the Easter candy aisle). She would put them on a fancy tray and showcase them(taunt us with them) a few days before Easter.
Our Easter baskets would always have some small toys or gifts, candy, and an addition of an Easter decoration that would stay in the basket year to year. By the time I was out of school, there wasn't much room for anything but the decorations. I remember a few years when I was young wanting one of those boughten baskets wrapped up in cellophane. I guess it was the cellophane that did it. It looked so gorgeous to me as a kid.
My household still gets out our Easter baskets (even me), arranges our decorations in them and sets them on the buffet. Then my kids take them with us to Grandma and Papaw's since we are almost without fail, there on Easter morning.
In the years since we have all had kids, my mom would collect $2 bills, one for each grandchild and stuff eggs with those plus change in about 75 other eggs for a hunt at her house. Talk about no love lost when these grandchildren are on the hunt! Besides the fact that my dad was in the hospital this week with an ulcer, it's suppose to be 36 on Easter Day so I'm thinking we might not have that traditional hunt. Maybe an inside hunt if I can get the change and bills rounded up.
Of course, we as a family center our holidays around eating (actually any function we have is centered around eating). We pull out our special dishes then. Shrimp salad, broccoli casserole, deviled eggs, scalloped oysters, homemade yeast rolls with the ham and such.
I was going to say our year has been rough and we adults are feeling pretty used up so we might let some of the traditons go for now. But I realize our children will be most definitely be disappointed if we do that. I think maybe it would make us feel better if we go ahead with our traditions even if we don't feel up to it.

We leave for my mom and dad's this afternoon. I need to give my son a haircut since he is looking a bit sasquatchy. A few other jobs await. We have to make a stop along the way so I can pick up an equalizing Easter gift for J since I overbought for E and didn't realize. Plus, my daughter very politely informed me I had been skimpy on the candy in recent years. HHmmmm. I sure don't want to set a precedent with that kind of behaviour! Viva La Candy!

Everyone have a wonderful weekend and enjoy time with your family, friends, alone or whatever you have planned!

8 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

We have similar childhood Easter memories. They are happy memories. I am glad you are creating happy Easter memories for the next generation to pass on to their children. You are a wise and good mom.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Helene said...

Even though we are Jewish, we have always celebrated Christian holidays with friends and family. My children have great memories of easter egg hunts in the neighborhood and all the parents getting tipsy at the after party/BBQ lol. I am missing my Philly friends as I write this... I will be sitting at home doing nothing but laundry tomorrow! lol not much fun!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Easter Bunny From Hell said...

Happy Easter Greeny.

I have kept you in mind since you were that child.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

First off I followed the link from the Easter Bunny person and HOLYY SHIT, this is why I hate mascots.

Other than that, I hope your easter was wonderful.

scrarrrrryyyy bunnies all around us.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Mom. Hope your Easter was beautiful.

Kate, those sounds like great memories for your kids to have. I think it would be fantastic to have multicultural and ethnic friends for the diversity my children would be exposed to. They would be so much more adaptable and interested in the world.
Hope you find better things to do than laundry!

Easter bunny, you aren't so scarey to me. Thanks for the visit!

Runwaylights, I was sacred at first but after the weekend I had, this is a far sight more funny.

10:11 AM  
Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

I wonder how many times our parents went ahead with taxing traditions to preserve them for us. that's probably part of the tradition you are preserving too.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree, AM. Thanks for the visit.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

You're right about maintaining the traditions for the kids, even if the adults don't feel it. Traditions do change and evolve over time but abandoing them altogether, especially when things have been tough, does no one any good.

Broccoli casserole. Yum.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home