Monday, February 26, 2007

A Smattering

Wildman and I hosted a wingding over the weekend for a crew made up of his former brother-in-law's cousins and their wives( one each), former brother-in-law, Wildman's first cousin and his wife, plus peripheral folks many of which reside in Arkansas. From Friday evening till Sunday Brunch, we ate, drank, sang and played guitars, and generally tried to outdo each other in one way or another. It was all good. The crew is of good stock and highly intelligent so banter was very interesting and there was never a moment we weren't laughing. I haven't had such a good weekend with true relaxation and enjoyment in a while. The last time we were all together was at this crew's deer woods cabins which lie in the heart of nowhere in Arkansas.
The music ranged from country (Johnny Paycheck, Alabama, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, June and Johhny) to bluegrass( Alison Krauss, Bill Monroe) to hard rock (AC/DC, Elvis, Boston).
The food ranged from smoked salmon with cream cheese and capers (heaven!), aged venison back strap ( brought down in Arkansas woods) and pork tenderloin, killer beans (in a good way), and various sides. Too much, too much!!!

This week has an very tiring end coming to it. On Friday night about 9:00 pm, the music boosters will be hosting a "Halo" gaming tournament and lock-in for the high school students. I will be chaperoning. Play will commence at 10 with "Guitar Hero", "Dance Dance Revolution" and other game options. Part of the lure is the $ awarded to the winner of the tournament.
This will by no means be a fun time for moi. I do not do all- nighters anymore. I snuck off at 11:00 pm Friday during the Wingding to go to bed because I couldn't hold my eyes open. Just think what's going to happen if I fall asleep with high schoolers roaming around, especially my daughter.

E went to her father's house after all this past weekend. He told her on Wednesday night when they had supper together he wanted her to come for the weekend. He said, "Jenn is fine with everything" to which I snorted inwardly. E was actually feeling good about going and as I talked with her tonight about how it really was, she still maintained it was fine. A sigh of relief but a lack of confidence that it will stay kosher for very long. How I hope I am wrong.

We had such gorgeous week of fine weather last week. It made me brighten a bit. The days are longer, the morning sky lightens about 5:50 am now and the light stays around until after 6 pm too. There is hope. Soon I can build some fires in the fire pit and sip some Crown while I view the stars. I used to have great phone conversations with a friend far into the night sitting outside in the dark while we both gazed up into the same starry sky. That is a great way to spend time. So relaxing and usually quiet. I only needed a hot tub to complete the relaxation.

Here's to your week. May you find relaxation where ever you may!
Cheers!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had good weather!

and glad E had a decent weekend.. I hope it holds out too for her sake :)

9:48 PM  
Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

You paint a picture of perfect relaxation.
aaahhhh h h h h

10:12 PM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

That sounds great. But I have to say, this is the first time I've ever heard the words "intelligence" and "good stock" associated with Arkansas.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sandi, we will probably see more cold before we see more warm. They say March is the cruelest month for a reason.
I know you all are big chillin'. Hopefully you'll have a warm up soon!
It is one of mu favorite ways to relax. Outside is all I need.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man that sounds like a good time. Thanks for sharing. I allowed myself to pretend I was there for a moment.

Man I wish you could see my word verification right now. I don't drink (allergic to alcohol), but this is always how I imagined words looked to someone who is drunk. I have no idea what letters I'm looking at here. I suppose I'll type lassie and let them give me another one. :-)

4:09 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

Good friends, good food, good conversation. sounds like a perfect weekend.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Iamnot, I guess my intelligence could come under suspicion now after my comment, huh? or you could settle for being surprised...heehee.
Lisa p, you have hit upon a perfect solution to get a better verification word! I'll use that next time I have a gigantic one. I hunt and peck so it gets fairly troublesome with some they ask me to type.
Mom! Thanks for stopping by! It was a good time.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Sounds like a blissful time!

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home