Sunday, January 21, 2007

Odds and Ends

More sleet and snow. Nope, no pictures. I'm sure people are tired of my weather woes, as am I.

Do you all ever get the feeling sometimes some people's blogs you comment on don't really care for your comments? They have a terse reply to your comment or they just don't say anything when you ask a pointed question? Do you continue to go back to those same blogs "waiting it out" for a kind word to diffuse your worries or do you quit visiting? I try to wait it out and keep visiting because many times, it's blogs I really enjoy reading. I enjoy lurking and getting to know from afar. I don't have a lot to add but I always take away something.

I know, for me, blogging is a hard medium to convey real emotion with. ( I think I get my whiney self heard pretty well.) I have read some bloggers who do such a great job of relaying their idea, I feel I can almost hear what their delivery would be like in person.

I've taken out a bunch of fruit from my freezer to make jelly today and start a batch of wine with. I'm thinking even though I don't have a mixed fruit wine recipe to start with, I would try a blueberry-blackberry-cherry mix. I don't have enough of these to use by themselves. And I need to make more blackberry jelly for our use. I also took out red plum juice to some jelly with. If you all have never had homemade red plum jelly, you are missing something special.
My supervisor has wonderful seedless, thornless blackberry vines she let me pick off of a couple years back. She told me they had so many in the freezer, they wouldn't need any for years. She hasn't asked me to pick any the last few years. I told her I was making wine with some of them and she hasn't asked offered any since. Oh, well, it was fab while it lasted.

My friend and I do a pretty good job of hunting down free fruit for our wine making ventures. It's an adventure to see what we can come up with.

My daughter and her boyfriend are still seeing each other. They have been fine with the chaperoning. He has asked her to Homecoming in a couple of weeks as well as Prom. Oh, geez. sweating palms. Mine! Dresses, shoes, accessories are the least of my worries. She and I have had some serious talks lately - very open and revealing convos. Trying to keep the lines open. It's all talk if she isn't listening or being honest. Ack!

J is struggling so much to stay on top of his assignments at school. They have implemented an accountability system to encourage (scare) the kids into handing in their homework on time and thereby taking some of the work off the shoulders of the teachers. They were trying to hunt down kids for due homework and giving them more time to find/do their assignments which was extremely time consuming as well as unfair and unproductive for the student. Teaching them they could forget about it and still get the homework done when they wanted to. No biggie, the teacher will take up the slack. When they go on to middle school, the teachers eat them alive because they haven't learned how to hand in assignments. I like the system. It has begun to sink in that not only will the lazy or spacey kid visit with the principal after 5 accountability notices, which will not be fun, but he will run the risk of being in in school suspension,equally not fun). Then there is the fact that after 20 notices, there is a strong possibility he/she could be held back.
Well, guess where my son falls in all of this? He is the spacey kid and even with all the planning and double checking I am helping him with, he still spaces out and forgets or loses his assignments. I am trying to teach him to systematically take a minute and check list his assignments. It works half the time but if I miss asking him what's due when and if he has everything before we leave the school every night, he will have a problem. Or if I forget to say something pointedly about homework, it's the same crap. His grades are great- it's not that he can't do the work. And all that memory is apparently going into things like the morphing ability of the Ojama Black beast when palmerized with the other Ojamas on the playing field. Yu-Gi-Oh reference there, by the way.
I am looking at myself. I was the same way. I remember until 7th grade really struggling to get my work in. Same reason, too. I was a space cadet. Maybe he will mature before 7th grade. He'll be really mature if he get held back.

Ok, coffee is finished, now the Sunday paper. Naw, I need more coffee. Not quite jacked up enough.
Happy Sunday!

Ok, the visitors I see here are not the bloggers I am speaking of so don't think I am pointing a finger. Thanks for the visit, by the way!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your son will mature.. I know mine did.. I was amazed at my oldest son.. he was just the same as yours, although it was star wars, not Yu Gi Oh at that time..lol.
I worried myself sick about that boy and now? He is on the dean's list in college:)
I so miss my mom's homemade jelly. We had sandhill plums in Kansas and boy were they yummy in jelly. Oh and the apricot jelly! Damn.. now I am hungry again!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

I know by the time I left 8th grade I'd really blossomed. Of course I was a girl, so therefore the same rules don't apply. Sorry. :0 I have the opposite problem my son at 8 acts like he's 11. He's in GATE classes, but no matter how smart he is, he's still a daydreamer and every year his new teacher will tell me, "H is so smart, I just have to pull him in a lot, he needs to focus more."


Are you talking about me not responding to your "how is fresno for new years question?" I meant wish me luck because I have to deal with so much family and spreading myself way too thin." I'm not so great at getting back to everyone's questions.

p.s. I was creeped out last night, and now I'm checking my stats on my blog to see who has been reading me locally.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wasn't saying anything about any of my readers when I mentioned the blog comment thing, Jetpass. Sorry I wasn't thinking how pointed that sounded.

Glad to hear from you.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Gee, I hope I've answered your questions... I enjoy your comments on my blog!

My 11 yo is a little spacey too, I hope she matures by 7th grade. She wanted to do a good job this year in a new school, but is now back to her old ways of forgetting assignments.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Otis said...

Ok, it was me...I just got behind.

I like it that you have weather...I wish I did. We've got HOT, WINDY, WET and HOT, WET and WINDY and HOT (convection baking), and NOT SO HOT and WINDY. Somehow, I can't bear to part with my Sorel snow boots...a man can dream can't he?

Let me know if you make any red pepper or jalapeno jelly!

Between 3rd and 7th grade, I struggled to pay attention, there were so many other things that were more important... my Dad would get furious because I would forget assignments until the night before, leave them at school, etc... I think that it's around this time that we start developing a true sense of time consciousness and grasp the importance of time in relation to life...

6:53 PM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

I like your comments....

We traveled to the mountains over the weekend so we could enjoy some snow. Of course, we got to go home when we were tired of being cold.

9:59 AM  
Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

Your comments always make me laugh. And I think you express your feelings beautifully. I even steal some of your words!

My 11 year old Yugi-Oh boy is the same as yours. There was a Nintendo Wii riding on his report card. Looks like I can keep the cash this quarter.

You are so creative & ambitious with the cooking. Sounds divine.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sandi, yes, I beleive J will mature too. Just a little time. And you must be proud of your son. He must work hard!
What are sandhill plums like. Are they yellow?
I love the apricot jelly as well from my mom and dad's tree but I only get a jar amybe once a year. Thanksfull my kids don't care for it.
Yes, the girls are much more mature in his class and that is common, Jetpass. I watched it with my daughter's class.
Hey, Jetpass, any sign of your stalker?
Otis, I do make hot pepper jelly altho it's not as hot as I'd like. I ned to use more jalepenos or another variety of hot pepper. It's one of my favorite snacks over a brick of cream cheese with good totilla chips.
Iamnot, it's nice to have options like that. People in the hardest hit places are still without power today..1-24-07. Can you believe that?
Thanks for the good word, AM. I know I'm not in this by myself. just trying to keep my perpsective and not miss anything important with either child.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home