Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A Lack of Interesting Subject Matter

Good movies or the lack thereof were mentioned on a couple of blogs. I thought about what I had viewed lately.
Of the John Hughes collection finally completed for my daughter- "Sixteen Candles". One word- loser. Not in keeping with "Breakfast Club" or Pretty In Pink". Although, young Mr. John Cusack caught her eye which means another cache of PG-rated films I can purchase for her.
"Ice Age-The Meltdown"- Cute, cute, cute. My son and I watched it together and had belly laughs throughout. Queen Latifa is good in anything.
"A Series of Unfortunate Events"- a favorite of all of ours. Craig Furgeson and of course, Jim Carey in hilarious roles. The graphic art and sets make me wish I had that kind of ability.

I have many movies from the 60's, 70's and 80's I really want to see. However due to the proximity of Blockbuster (seemingly in a galaxy far, far away) and the severely restricted offerings the town video store has, I haven't made a dent in the list. It's long and now apparently misplaced since I want to write about it. #@*%!

"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" - a movie I have always wanted to see after having read the satire in my brother's Mad Magazine. Wildman rented it not too long ago for us and it was better than I ever thought it might be. Speaking of Jack Nicholson, I would see anything he did in the early days. The only thing I've seen of that era is "Easy Rider"-heehee.

Little Big Man" bought it for myself 'cause I could never find it to rent.

"The Graduate" -My mommy would never let me watch this on regular t.v. since it might give me the wrong idea. If she only knew...

Back to the current movies...

"Cars"- fell asleep.

"School of Rock"- a movie we are constantly annoying people with lines from. It's what we do.

To be honest, I haven't even seen what's playing in the theaters. It's been too hectic to even consider going.
I remember as a teen the Christmas holiday weekends were THE time to go see some blockbuster. I saw "King Kong", the version with Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lang which was so much better than the latest version with Jack Black (saw both in the theater).
"Superman" with Christopher Reeve- not figuring the new version is worth much.

What are some movies anyone would recommend and why?

7 Comments:

Blogger Otis said...

The Red Violin...for its music and the storyline.

A Man on Fire...Denzel at his very best. The soundtrack is fabulous, it's very gritty in the subject matter. It is the Wife's favorite movie next to The Red Violin.

The Mission...Ennio Morricone's soundtrack, Deniro, and Jeremy Irons.

Gladiator...for the line, at my signal unleash hell. Someone I used to know would say that before every surgery.

My Cousin Vinney...it reminds me of home.

Pulp Fiction...because my friends and I quote the lines and I remember a huge party we had when it came out on DVD.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would agree with My Cousin Vinney.. that is too funny!

I loved Pretty in Pink and Bfast Club.. and thought the same thing about 16 candles.. my daughter loves those movies.

I can't think of any others..

8:34 PM  
Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

The Mission is on my all time favorite list too.

My current new favorite is "Little Miss Sunshine."

I loved "Fletch." I love Chevy Chase. "Office Space" is also a good one.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

All thoe 80's movies rocked!! I bought then all...and of course my daughter took themaway to college with her...lil shit!

I don't see many, if any, movies in the theaters. Usually wait and then I have lots of choice at the movie rental place. hehe I rented "Click" with Adam Sandler. Awesome movie...funny AND sad, if you can believe that!

I haven't seen the new King Kong movie, no desire to see it. BUt I did love the Jessica Lange version. I wonder why all the remakes? It's like all the new pop music is remakes. Whatever happened to originality??

7:05 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

You have a DVD player, right? Join Netflix and screw Blockbuster...movies to your door on a regular basis. Love it.

Also loved "Cars" so maybe I'm not one to recommend movies. Although just about anything with John Cuzak rocks.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

ohh how about 4 Weddings and a Funeral.... gosh that was great... or Taps... The Shawshank Redemption, ohhhh the silence of the lambs...I loved Dirty Dancing... ok stop laughing... I am a closet hopeless romantic! lol I am still waiting for Patrick to take me up on stage and move me like that! *wink

I liked Little Miss Sunshine. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (that is when I fell in love with Paul Newman (even though he was like a million years older than me hehehe)

hummmm... you know I am gonna think of like 40 movies tonight as I am trying to go to sleep... hehehe

5:11 PM  
Blogger Otis said...

Greeny, are you iced in yet?

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home