Thursday, November 30, 2006

A Day Off?

Serious icing on our power lines and an impending snow storm has ensured a vacation from school for at least the rest of the week. I am glad I "stocked up", if you know what I mean. Lorraine sent this weather on from her neck of the woods and I'm gonna send it on to Indiana, Ohio and on to AMKingsfield and Anne. I predict a day spent locked in my room, having retreated from the noise of Guitar Hero and " The Breakfast Club" 's one millionth playing.


I had a bright idea to make some money on my source of pecans from my parent's two trees. We end up with many bushels of pecans each year and bestow them on our friends and loved ones. I decided to try my hand at selling them to my co-workers so last week, I offered samples of 3 different styles of toasted pecans and put a sign up sheet for any takers. By 10, I had sold 117 1/2 cups. Now I KNOW what I will be doing today.


My daughter and son are itching to get on the computer but I've been parked in front of it since they got up...AT 6:30 THIS MORNING! Why is it they can't get up at the regular time to go to school but they wake up at the crack of dawn on a day off? That reminds me...I have this I have to pass along.



Anyway, I plan on making them crazy as I sit here taking my time surfing and reading. And the rain is not gonna stop and the sump pump is not sounding too spiffy so I may be under the house for a bit. That damn thing. Power outtages are happening to the west of us, moving our way so I have a bit of prep to do as well.







I was realizing last night over a nice glass of merlot and a lovely few hours to myself, I haven't been reading or working on things that make me happy for many months now. I just read Lorraine over at http://dothedishesfirst.blogspot.com/and she was saying the same thing. I haven't experienced the same blah as she has. And I'm working on being a more positive person in my thoughts and deeds. I was becoming too cynical and mad.
I have some interesting ideas for some exciting future business ideas and opportunities I have discussed with a good friend. It involves a sort of summer day camp for 4th and 5th graders, maybe older and revolving around exposing them to music, art, books and their discussions, cooking, gardening, and some other subjects. I can imagine this actually coming to pass. As well as putting her land into christmas tree production. There is a lot of things to study on that subject.
I have the school planting ideas I haven't been working yet.
I have a good book on my side table that begs to be picked up and more to start if that one gets finished.
My crafting of altered art objects has taken a nose dive due to time constraints. That's something I need an extended block of uninterrupted time since I am slow to find pleasing combinations.
I have several subjects I'm interested in to study, one of which is the history of gardening. I would love to collaborate on a novel involving that subject. That's a daydream but who knows? Wildman is working toward a different occupation or two that involves fewer pricks and more satisfaction and I am interested in his new ventures. Perhaps more on that later.

Well, a big breakfast has been demanded but the last time I was posting and the ankle-biters wanted pancakes, I promised myself they were going to learn how to make them themselves so today begins the journey. Then I will set them on to shelling pecans. Thank god for slave labor.

Happy Thursday, everybody.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why have children if not for free slave labor.

We have ice here too, it's more of a frosting on the grass and roofs, that will be gone by 10. I live in Sacramento, so snow is like a 1 in a million chance and, for that I'm VERY happy.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Hey! you can keep your ice! Thanks for sharing, but, no thanks.
We're do to get rain later today and it'll be in the 40's by the weekend (down from 68 today :)

I love pecans, send some to me, whole even, I'll do the shelling work.

Happy Thursday to you, too.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg great cartoon!! I dont miss the cold one bit!!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Pecans are my favorite nut. (Is it weird to have a favorite nut?) I wonder if a pecan tree would grow here? Probably not.

Sounds like you have many wonderful projects lined up...good luck on doing something about them.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home