Friday, August 18, 2006

Tick Tock

Not much time to post lately since our school is in session and there have been and will be weekend trips and activities for another month. My house is a wreck and my painting projects I started this summer are still half finished in the garage. Not much room for the car. My garden and yard are not what I would say well-kempt, partly due to drought as well as lack of care on my part. There isn't the time at school to post since we have a new building principal who is cracking the whip. I am optimistic we will see some great changes as a result. Morale had taken a nose dive, personally speaking.
This weekend is a tea party at my mom's house for the social elite (or a list of friends and hillbilly cousins). She has always wanted to host one so my sister and I rolled our eyes behind her back and plowed ahead. Cucumber sandwiches, which are pretty yummy, if I say so myself, dainty cookies , veggies, toasted pecans, cream cheese mints, muffins and honey butter. You get the picture. Hats and dress clothes are required. Thank god we don't have to scrounge up gloves! Anyhoo, it has the makings of a good time, at least for my mom. Pictures MAY follow.
Kids are embedded in school now and my 5th grader is very jazzed. My 9th grader isn't so jazzed. Moving from 8th and the top of the heap to lowly 9th grader status has managed to tweak her self-esteem. I had to give a pep talk and I'm sure it's not the last.
On the subject of my 5th grader son...I just realized a few days ago I had been paying so much attention to my daughter I had neglected my son and his presence. Not on purpose. It was the squeaky wheel syndrome. She and I always had things to discuss and the son was always busy around the periphery. He doesn't demand anything. I realize now he was waiting for me to take notice of him. I have a lot of time to make up with him and I plan to keep him in my sights. He is such a treasure, too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

The tea party sounds like fun. Us old ladies like to dress up and play. You are sweet to help her.
The kids grow up so fast. Treasure each day.
Boy do I sound like a gramma.
Sue

7:31 AM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

There is no such thing as a good sandwich that consists of a vegetable and bread. I'm just saying.
Stay away from my blog today. I crucified "hope." It ain't pretty.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

I myself am a fan of the cucumber sandwich. I do hope you share pictures of the tea party.

You're a dandy daughter and an even better mom.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home