Thursday, July 13, 2006

R and R in the L.P. of MI



A fabulous time. My kids, myself and I would wager to say my relatives all enjoyed the time spent. Lots of talk, drinks, fireworks, lake time, fish, spilling of guts, sharing of stories old and recent, connections never made before, interesting forays into antiques and artisan work in nearby towns, a bit of history thanks to Henry Ford.













I enjoyed the drive up.. .. The first time I had been there since I was 19. Wish I had spent more time watching the way we went. My kids did very well for their longest road trip ever. It was an adventure. My daughter found the name "Effingham", a town in Illinois quite interesting. Also, they found out there really are Big Boy restaurants, that my uncle dosen't really "own" the whole lake, you can eat the tails of crappie and bluegill(after they are fried) cause they are tasty, and a shopping trip to Meijer can take 2 hours because they have great stuff.




It sure is good to be home but while I was tooling around up there, I daydreamed about living in Michigan. I love their winters and I love the summers there as well. But jeez, prices are prohibitive no matter how many yards I landscape.
I will just plan on another trip next July unless I can make it back there this fall or winter. I may work on my resume in the mean time.







5 Comments:

Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

Wow. You love the Winters?
Looks like it was a great trip.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Otis said...

Congratulations on what sounds like a grand vacation.

Your pictures make me homesick for greengrass and trees of substance.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

iamnot, I like their winters because its usually cold and dry, even with snow unlike Mo which has damp, nasty weather all winter. They are ready for snow and cold temps. Ice fishing skating, hockey, skiing...what's not to love?
Otis, it was lovely. I couldn't live where it wasn't green. I feel for you. I've been to Midland/Odessa a few times and it was amazing at first but then it was depressing.

12:00 PM  
Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

I used to waitress at a Bob's Big Boy. I haven't seen one in years.

Sounds like a great time. I think I would like to live on a lake.

I definitely need trees too. Other landscapes are interesting to visit, but I like the green - even if it is humid.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Glad you had a good time. I find "Effingham" a rather delightful name as well...

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home