Monday, July 31, 2006

My Ma and Pa were visiting at my house this weekend. It turned out to be a fairly good time. My dad behaved. That's the way I think of it now. Pretty sad, if I may say so. He has times when he's really hateful and in the early stages of getting mean. My mom, of course, bears the brunt of it on a daily basis. I figure she has had some moments with him she hasn't shared with the rest of us. She is beginning to get worn down from the stress. She isn't bitter or mad now but I get mad when she says he does stuff just to be spiteful or that she just doesn't understand why he did this or that. AARRRRGGGH. He doesn't know what the hell he's doing. She wants to be in control of this and she isn't so she resorts to that kind of thought process.

She doesn't have enough help with him or time away from him to reset her attitude. She needs some more breaks. I live too far away to be there on a daily or even every weekend basis. My sister and brother are there close but it wears on them as well. They do a great job of helping. I feel guilty for this. I do know it is a good break for them to come to my house so I invite them as often as I can and go as often as I can. I call and commiserate with her and let her vent, encourage her to vent, try to give hope for the future, encourage her with her projects and events she can be excited about. It seems like so little.
My dad, on the other hand, loves to be babied and he interjects in other's conversation to make everyone notice him. He can't converse anymore. That was a strong suite of his...his gift of conversation. He starts a sentence and can't finish it. He can't say what he wants anymore. He just sits and closes his eyes usually. He can't finish a job. I helped him with his shaving and teeth brushing and it was comical and horrible. I hope to hell he can't tell he can't remember. Because the frustration would be his hell. I used to think he knew everything. I came to a time when I knew that wasn't true. But now he knows nothing. "Flowers for Algernon" .

My family is so strange. We don't talk to him directly about his disease and never have. Only Mother has talked with him when it all became clear what he had. I came the closest I ever have to asking him how he really was and what he felt during this weekend. He responds to me well and I believe I am a comforting presence for him. He feels Mother's irritation. I am helpful and laugh at his nonsensical antics and jokes. I hug him and pat him on the back a lot. He hugs back and doesn't want to let go. God, I hope he isn't scared. And I can't go there.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

Wow. What a load for you all to carry, including your dad. It must be awful for you all. Try not to guilt yourself because your life has you living farther away. You do what you can and it has to be enough. At least you are all trying to do what you can but seriously, you're going to need more support as the time rolls on, especially for your mom. Thinking of you.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Otis said...

You may already know about
the Alzheimer's Association.

Also, there should be a support group associated with a local hospital near you or your Mom.

They may also be able to direct you to respite care...which would give your Mom a break.

Everything you speak of is normal behavior...your Mom is using the coping mechanisms she is most familiar with to get her through...

I haven't thought about Algernon and Charlie in many years. Mr. Smith would be very proud that I did.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

Old age is not for sissies. It takes courage and love for the aging and for the people who love them.Your folks are blessed to have a daughter who loves them.

4:04 PM  
Blogger AM Kingsfield said...

Even though it all sounds hard, you make it seem bearable because everyone loves each other. That is what it is all about: not controling, just loving. Cool family.
You are wise to know that your mom needs as much support as your dad.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We do all love each other. We try to support each other. We have had my dad in with the Alzheimer's unit at Barnes-Jewish in St. Louis and taking part in any drug trials my dad would qualify for as well. All that is done.
My mom is aware of the help available to her in the form of respite care and support groups. She is to that point of allowing it to be considered. She isn't interested in the commiseration with other caregivers (I think it would be good) and her local area isn't overrun with options for respite care.
We are doing as much as we can. It just doesn't FEEL like enough. Most people in desparate situations feel the same, I think.

Thanks for the kind words.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

This just sounds so hard. We are on the verge of the same situation with my mother-in-law.
Hang tough and get all the help you can.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home