Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I'm not covered up with my garden this year. I didn't put in that much. I have my fingers crossed for some sweet corn though. I haven't ever grown it myself although there were gardens every year of my life at home.
I even have some Charlston Gray watermelons and Ambrosia canteloupes. I haven't grown watermelons before but I have canteloupes. Believe it or not a person can't get good RIPE fruit here at all, even when you know the grower. They pick everything greener to hold up to the shipping. I don't think people really know what a ripe canteloupe or watermelon tastes like! Growing up, my family was friends with a family that grew melons. We would go to their house and he would hand my siblings and me his jackknife. We would EACH choose a melon and cut it open and WASTEFULLY eat just the hearts unless we could hold more. What a pleasure because that was really before they started cutting them off the vine instead of them slipping off because they were ripe so all he had on the trailer were ripe ones. My dad told us about his grandfather who was known for his wonderful watermelons and how he would dig a deep hole, add a shovel full of composted manure, add back the soil, and plant the melon seeds on the hill. He grew them huge and perfect, apparently.
In the same vein...Where my parents live is a ridge known for peach orchards- maybe 15 different orchards. I grew up eating the fruit so ripe, the juice would run down my arms. The peach pies and fresh peach ice cream...OMG! The town even had a peach festival! Now, you cant get ripe fruit in the whole town. They are picked to ship, not to eat. A person really has to have a fruit tree to get that kind of ripe.
So you get it...I LIKE RIPE FRUIT!

4 Comments:

Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

I haven't had a good peach in years.
Our insatiable appetite for year 'round fruits and veggies has only ensured that we get cardboard crap...year 'round.
We acutally stumbled on some very good pears recently. My kids were shocked at how good they were. They have no idea.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree. I rarely buy unless it smells good and of course, feels RIPE

1:20 PM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Hey ya'll, ...sigh...sigh...ain't it the truth.

Wish you's send me some o' yore lopes when they's ready...I'd pay the fed ex ter git 'em here in a day...Lawdy, if our food is bountiful, but balnd.

I always lose weight in Europe---eatin' ever'thang thas' in all them pretty windows and pastries in bakries and dessert ev'r night...but they is real picky 'bout they food , and it is fresh--so ya doan eat so much of it jes' ter get taste of the real thang.

Jes' a drop by ter say, Howdy do?

6:33 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

And I think that is exactly what keeps sending me back to my garden every year...getting food that tastes like it's 'sposed to. I still want to put in more fruit...all I have right now are apples and grapes. A few raspberries and blueberries and a fig tree would be nice....

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home