Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Something I know about myself: overly critical and prone to make sweeping generalizations about a person or persons I don't know well enough. I would be talking about African Americans, poor people (Jeez, sounds funny me saying that since we used to have an outhouse and still don't have much) and otherwise less fortunate people. This is rooted in my upbringing by parents who believed everyone should be upright and work their fingers to the bone, know what they are doing with their lives, make the right moral choices for themselves and their children, or they were not ligit and certainly not worthy of assistance or consideration. This is perpetuated in my family even now by siblings as well as the parents. As with religion and upbringing, it's hard for me to remove these teachings(brainwashing?) and really examine what I feel about people from real experience with them.
maybe this blog should be titled " Parent Bashing and Assorted Ramblings of a Snotty, Self-Righeous Woman" cause I seem to showing more of that than uniqueness or open-mindedness...
It's just I am examining my self and truly being introspective. I know it's late in life but better to question now then accept forever...

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim Lewellyn said...

Something I know about you: As long as you know your making those generalizations out of habit (due to the brainwashing?) you are on the road to correcting the problem.
And this is not a problem that many people will admit to having let alone try fixing.
We all make these or similar generalizations out of habit, surroundings or upbringing.
I have known you for a while now, well before you started the blog and I think I know you pretty well. So I am going to tell you, I do not believe you have a snotty or selfrighteous bone in your body. I do believe that for someone brought up in your cricumstances, in that part of the country with that type of brainwashing as I understand it, you are a very unique and open-minded individual that I am anxious to here more from and learn more about.
Keep it up,

P.S. It's never to late in life for anything !

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home